Newbie, what would you suggest for a unit

sdmikal

i would go with a legend to start, with, i have a basic etrex a legend and a vista. With the rebate and price drops, the legend is a good deal and a way to fidn out what features you want on a more expensive unit. The V is awesome, but more than a beginner needs, unless that is what you really want, but then a big part of the fun is getting newer and better toys.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

Nearly any GPSr will work for geocaching i would sugest you look at what else you want to use it for and fine a unit that fits its needs. if you want to use it exclusively for geocaching then determine what you want to spend and select one from that price range. the bells and whistles get more numerous as the price goes up. But the cheapest units will work fine for caching.

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

The Legend, Vista and Map 76S are all good choices. The Map 76S floats, so it's a good for your boat in case you drop it overboard. I believe the Map 76S also gives you tidal information, which can come in handy for a boater.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

I have used both a Garmin (Vista and GPSV) and the Magellan SporTrak Pro. I found all of the above to be excellent units. The one suggestion I would make is buy as much as you can afford. Many Geocachers I know started with lower end units and eventually put out the money for a better unit. Why waste the money buying twice. Buy something that has enough internal memory to download maps. You won't be sorry.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!