Plundered Geocache

beasty boys

:D

I found out this weekend that one of my popular caches has been plundered, by the farmer as the wheel tracks from the tractor almost go over where the cache was located.

Several times I have been there and found it uncovered and out in the open, I guess that previous visitors haddent hidden it as well as they could.

But my main problem is recovering the ammo box and travel bugs, any idears or am I at the mercy of the farmer??

Its cache GCJ9N1 if your looking. :D:D

Was it placed on the farmer's property? Did you have his permission to hide it there? If yes to the first, and no to the second, you're probably SOL. You could try stopping by, begging forgiveness and asking politely.

EDIT: Just read your note on the cache page, it probably won't help your chances if the farmer happens to read the cache page......

Edited by IV_Warrior

Please note that the cache is in the UK, where customs and property rights are different than they are here in the U.S. There is a whole body of rules concerning public footpaths and rights of access, which I do not pretend to understand. Perhaps we might hear from some UK cachers who could clarify the issue of the degree of permission called for in these circumstances. Thank you.

I think im out of luck I have spoken to a couple of adjacent land owners in my quest to find him and they all dont like the land owner in question or my chances or retriving it!?!?

I have now know of the place I have to visit tomorrow.

The land is free to walk as a triangulation trig point is within 10mtrs of the cache, govenment departments and military visit the area.

You can get away with roaming here as long as you dont cause damage to the property.

Anyway we shall see !!

Thanks for the replys.

BB

Please note that the cache is in the UK, where customs and property rights are different than they are here in the U.S. There is a whole body of rules concerning public footpaths and rights of access, which I do not pretend to understand. Perhaps we might hear from some UK cachers who could clarify the issue of the degree of permission called for in these circumstances. Thank you.

yes, thats why I asked, because it would matter my next suggestion.

I don't understand the laws much either. though I think there are some paths that are privatly own, but open to public use. you can use them to go from A to B but your not supposed to leave the path, and of course not leave anything. If it was that sort of path then your out of luck. You could ask nicely explaining how you thought it was ok and appogize. I also would change the note, if they own it or not, you can't really prove who took it, and tires in a field could be on the up and up. It doesn't help to go and tick anyone off.

If its owned by a land trust or something, not the farmer. Then I would ask did you get permission? and does the management have a policy? If you were doing something they didn't know about, your going to confuse the heck out of them by asking if they could help find it so you can get it back. If you got it oked then it should be simple to contact them and explains its gone missing, have they seen it? and you think a local may have picked it up, the guy next door at (whatever). If the trust/park person contacts them and says 'yea this leterbox type thing we used to attacted people is gone, do you have it?'. Of course it can't be proved, it would be hard to force the farmer or whoever to give it back. But I figure anyone is more likley to give back something they carried off from the park to the nice ranger, then some guy who left his box of toys outside.

technically placing any cache makes you guilty of the offence of littering!

footpaths are rights of way ie from point a to point b not for stopping on for picnics etc. the paths themselves remain the property of the landowner. trig point no indication of permission to have access likewise military or other people having access. they could be getting access either through seperate permission or longstanding agreement.

bite the bullet, go visit the farmer, say sorry and see what the reaction is. you never know he might be positive. just because the other landowners don't like him doesn't mean he'll be anti geocaching. until you ask you won't know.