Gps's And Planes

laker2

:D OK, this is an old topic and probably has been previously discussed before. Simple question: what is the policy (governmental, airline) regarding the use of a GPS while being a passenger on a commercial flight? I get mixed answers to this whenever I inquire at boarding gate.

Thanks

I used my GPSr recently going to Colorado. I only turned it on after the Flight Attendant announced that personal electronic devices could be used, and I turned it off when they directed that those devices be turned off.

It was interesting to mess around with it on the plane, and no one said anything to me. I never even asked, just figured that since it only receives, there wouldn't be a problem. We made it safe and sound.

I don't know what the actual rules/laws are, though...

Edited by salpal

It depends on the airline. I know American does not allow them at all. I just did a round trip with Southwest this week (and have done this many times before), and they say it is fine when other electronic devices are allowed (laptops, mp3/cd, etc.)

The limit on those devices is 10,000 feet and I think that that is an FAA reg, but am not sure.

Most airlines will list what can be used in their inflight magazine and maybe their website.

My son just flew SouthWest and the flight attendant told him to turn it off and not use it. We asked a friend of ours, who is a flight attendant on SouthWest about using a GPS on flights. She has done some caching with us and knows about GPSEs. She said she allows people to use them on her flights.

Fire that rascal up and enjoy knowing your speed, altitude, bearing and heading. It's a wonderful distraction during a long flight. I've used it on several flights and nobody ever asked me not to. I usually enter the destination airfield as a waypoint and do a go to, so I can see how far and how much longer I'll have on the flight. I turn it off when passengers are asked to turn off all "personal electronic devices."

I fly a lot (elite on several airlines) and I've seen flight crews make people shut off certain devices although the published list seems to indicate they are allowed. One guy in first class near me was arguing with the flight attendant over a wireless equipped PDA (not sure if we was actually using the wireless) when the not-so-friendly air marshall on the flight stepped forward to clear things up. Just remember, it's not worth getting arrested even if the book says it's ok and the crew says it's not.

The quickest and easiest way to deal with it is to talk to the pilot on your way onto the aircraft. Generally, the pilot or copilot stands in the doorway to the flight deck welcoming the passengers aboard. On your way by, tell the pilot that you have a GPS receiver and would like to use it while aboard the aircraft. Since the pilot is in charge of the aircraft, the pilot has the final word on device usage while the aircraft is in the air. If the pilot says you may use the GPS receiver, you may use it. I have done that several times, and the flight attendants never questioned me when I have. The only time I did get questioned is when I said nothing and pulled it out once we reached altitude. At that point, I told her what it was, and she got permission from the pilot for me to use it. Simple as that.