How Should I Go About Doing This?

wandat24

I am new to Geocaching, but want to place a cache. I live in a rather small town, and would like to place it around the local Civic Center. There is also a small park nearby (if you can call it that LOL). There is an interesting story that goes along with my town's Lions Club. I am wanting to include this in my cache (just a little bit of useless information that someone else may find interesting). There's a "nickname" for the town, I'm wanting to use part of it in the title of the cache. I am going to talk to the gentleman, that has a lot to do with the story, about using it. I am planning on telling him about our little game, and how it's done (maybe he'll enjoy playing too). I am also going to talk with the lady in control of the Civic Center to see if it'd be best to place it in the park (and who to talk to if so), or if it could be placed near the Center. I am not sure as to how to go about doing this; I think if I just tell (ask) the people that it involves it should be ok. Do any of you have a suggestion as to what to do? Thanks ahead of time for any information. Any and suggestions/information all are appreciated! <_<

I have been successful with obtaining permission to place geocaches on a local migratory bird refuge and in a local recreation area on BLM land by contacting the land manager directly and having a face to face meeting. I took in a set of sample geocaches (micro, small, standard) complete with blank log books and swag and the geocacher-u.com brochure. In both cases, a 15-20 minute conversation was all it took to obtain approval.

I have been successful with obtaining permission to place geocaches on a local migratory bird refuge and in a local recreation area on BLM land by contacting the land manager directly and having a face to face meeting. I took in a set of sample geocaches (micro, small, standard) complete with blank log books and swag and the geocacher-u.com brochure. In both cases, a 15-20 minute conversation was all it took to obtain approval.

Thanks for mentioning the brochure, and thanks also for your great comment in my guestbook. :D

I live in a small town, too. I went to the mayor to ask about placing a cache in our small park (I'm sure it's much like yours). After that, I also talked with the guy in charge of street/park maintenance. He thought the cache was a great idea.

Bret

Hey wandat243,

Besides taking the brochure.

Here are some other things to note.

It’s always better to, ask first, and in person.

Take the cache with you, to the meeting, and show it to them.

This way they see exactly what it is, and what’s in there, and that it’s harmless.

It definitely helps!

I did this, on state land, where I placed my caches. The Manager, OK'ed it with no problem!

That’s after removing all knives, guns and explosives. :D :D just joking!

If they ask a question or two, you can’t answer, with confidence, don’t.

You can tell them, in an asking way, I’ll get back to you!

Come back here to get the right answer. Someone, will help you.

Good Luck, SF1