Skype Option In Profile

DigitalFudge

Definately an IM product. You have a buddy list just like in MSN/Yahoo, you can text chat just like in Yahoo/MSN, send files etc.

The only thing is it has great voice chat support.

So far it has been downloaded about 55 million times, so it isn't small. :P

You can call regular phones with it, but you can do that with MSN as well (last time I used it anyway). It's mainly intended for computer to computer chatting.

I hope you guys can add it!

Thanks

DigitalFudge

It is an IM product with a voice communication option. Computer-to-computer talk and/or messaging is possible (with more emphasis on the voice than the IM...making it slightly different than say, MSN's voice abilities). There is a separate for-pay function that is necessary in order to call someone who is not sitting at a computer.

The rest of the world outside the US (especially Europe) has already jumped two feet in on the Skype phenomenon. I've tried it and find it's a very nice way to contact friends in Europe for free.

The power resides in the use of a FastTrack network for P2P connectivity and packet passing. One danger is that the EULA is carbon-copy of KaZaA's which includes the language for adding spyware/distributed computing solutions...although at this time none of that is bundled with Skype (from the makers of KaZaA).

If it were an instituted option here, I don't see the harm. Then again, you can always add it yourself to your profile with some HTML at the end of the last category you have information in, by using the following code:

<p><b>Skype ID:</b>  ju66l3r</p>

I do have to say at this point, Skype would probably be far more used on the IM list than Jabber. :P

Anyone know what the name is of that universal IM program? It works with all other ones. Like AIM, MSNM, Yahoo, etc.

Are you thinking of Trillian?

Well, Jabber is the underlying IM server for Trillian (99% sure), but I know folks who use and like that tool.