Downloading

panacasummit

I have a GPSmap 60. I am having no problems with any of the functions on the unit except, I can not figure out how to download or input any cache locations. I have read the manual three times now and cannot find any directions for downloading or inputing a location. Every button I try keeps taking me to their preformatted stuff. I also cannot find any hint on the website. Very frustrated now. Someone please point me in the what I'm sure is the very obvious right direction.

Hey Panacasummit,

Welcome to geocaching.

I’m not sure if the GPSMap60 is the same as the Etrex Legend.

But here is what to try,

Manually input:

1) On your main Menu screen, select the Mark Icon.

2) On the new screen, select the waypoint name, and change to what you want to call it, Ex “Car”.

3) Then scroll down to the location and adjust ( tweak) your Latitude and Longitude numbers to reflect what you want.

Computer input:

1) You need a cable to connect the computer to the gps.

2) You’ll need what’s called a waypoint manager to upload and download them. One that’s free is “Easy GPS” EasyGPS installer http://www.easygps.com/SetupEasyGPS.exe

This should get you started.

If you need more help, stop back and someone will help. <_<

SF1

Thank you everyone. I got one to load but only to way points not geicaches, but out of tiem and have ot go to work. I've got a phone number, a web site, and few tricks up my sleeve. Thank you all very much.

That last web site link may ber for me. I was using my brother in laws Garmin V like a pro but like the web site says, I feel like this thing was last handled by gremlins. Oh well, it'll all come together eventually.

Thanks again to everyone.

Thank you everyone. I got one to load but only to way points not geicaches,Thanks again to everyone.

Thank you everyone.  I got one to load but only to way points not geicaches,

From one tadpole to the next :rolleyes: ...I'm not familiar with the GPSMAP 60 (nice unit!) unfortunately but using Mapsource, I find that it does not understand the format that you download from geocaching.com.

I needed to download GPSBABEL. It will translate the format Mapsource will understand, then you import the file to Mapsource. I like to use Mapsource because I'm familiar with it and I've got City navigator maps with it so I can tell where the caches are in relation to streets and parks. Mapsource quickly download the waypoints to both units.

I also use my Garmin 2610 to guide me to the nearest street then use my lowly Forerunner 201 to home in. Only if I can find the caches!!! Some of them are just too well camouflaged!!! <_<