Trouble With Cachemate & Palm!

joefrog

I got a new Palm a month ago, and finally "upgraded" to Cachemate. Well, I thought it was an upgrade...

When I try to search for "Nearest Caches" from a cache page via the "record" menu, 75% of the time (100% lately) it locks up the palm. Locks it up HARD. Sometimes it only locks it up so it has to be reset, others I have to do a hard reset and lose all the info on the palm until my next HotSync.

It's a Palm Tungsten T3, running Cachemate 4.0.3. Synced from a Mac G4, running OS10.3 with twin 1.5gHz processors and 2 gigs of RAM.

ANY ideas what could be causing the trouble?

I'm also running Cachemate 4.0.3 on my T3 w/o any problems. I use Cachemate Converter to generate the .pdb files and I don't use the SD card for db storage. I'm also running the PXA underclocker (to save batt. power) so Cachemate runs at 100mhz. I'm also running the patches to support landscape display, and have installed Graffiti 1 files.

It's very likely one of your other apps installed on your Palm. Try to deactivate whatever you can.

GeoBC

Hi JoeFrog,

Make sure you are not in the overview screen when you try to do the search for nearest caches. That will lock it up even if you have the search disabled. It is a known bug in the software.

"even if I have the search disabled?"

Can you elaborate on that?

Thanks for the help, folks!

I think that the problems you are experiencing would be best addressed by the author of CacheMate. Although the he does frequent these forums I would suggest that you are more likely to get a timely and useful response if you report your problems through the Smittyware website. There you will find both a dedicated forum for CacheMate and a technical support email address that will allow you to contact the author directly.

JeremyA

Yes even if you have the search disabled it will cause a lock up.

Strange... just wish I could replicate this at home, and I'd at least be one step closer to fixing it.

"even if I have the search disabled?" 

Can you elaborate on that?

There's a "safety catch" that's supposed to keep you from doing a "nearest cache" search from the overview display, because of a documented known bug (at least in the CacheMate docs) that is either in the software or the OS (haven't been able to replicate it at home, so I have no idea where it lies). It's optional, because doing such a search from there seems to work for most people, but it's on by default. According to webscouter, though, sometimes even that doesn't keep it from doing weird things.

If you're only doing nearest cache searches from the overview display, then that would be a correlation. Try doing one from either the list view or from one of the other record views, if that's the case.

Edited by Maeglin