Travel Bug Logging At Events?

Coach Steve

I haven't seen this in any of the forums, so I need to ask. Is it customary to take TBs to an event, lay them on a table and have people log them in and out of the 'cache'? When I saw this happen at an event that I attended, I thought it was a bit strange. To me, it was like taking a bunch of cache boxes and logging them as finds. Whatever happened to 'fair chase'? Am I just way off base here? Is this done at all events? :P:)

Edited by coachsteve

Is it common? Depends on where you're at, I guess. It happens, but not everyone does it. Many people take travel bugs to/from events, and only log the bugs they actually moved somewhere, as opposed to logging every bug that was at the event. For others, "it's all about the numbers" so they log every bug on the table.

You don't have to do it. Lots of people don't. I myself don't consider it a move for the travel bug, and I don't do it. However, there might be an extenuating circumstance, like Cindy the Cinderblock, where I couldn't wait to get my hands on that travel bug, but did not relish the thought of lugging it into the woods myself. It's a cinderblock for crying out loud! Of course I'm going to log it and let some man carry it. So no, not as a rule. But that's the great thing about this game. You are only playing against yourself, and even then it's not a competition.

Edited by Planet

I personally think that it is a good opportunity for people to help move travel bugs along when you go to an event. You can place them in your caches that are bugless or take them with you on business trips. The two events I've been to some people brought bugs and others didn't. Guess it's whatever is most comfortable for each individual.