Permission To Cache

gpsjester

I am new to Geocaching and not wanting to bring any bad press to Geocaching.COM, GAGB or Geocaching in general, I have read through the notes regarding "Getting Permission From Landowners" before siting a cache.

This query is mainly aimed at UK Geocachers, but will still appreciate any feedback from Outside UK.

For National Trust sites, straight forward enough... Just contact your local NT Warden. And for similar National Parks, would no doubt go down the same route...

But what about the more obscure locations : river banks, canal tracks, quaysides, urban locations etc.

Do we need to obtain permission for every cache we want to site ?

I would hate to plant a cache, only to find I should of got permission first...

Any Thoughts would be much appreciated

Mick.

I think you will find that there is a lot of caches out there that have no permission. Most of the time, at least in my opinion, cachers assume permission. This sometimes leads to problems, such as irate business owners or the bomb squad being called :unsure:

If at all possible, ask the land owner or manager. I don't know about over there in the U.K., but it seems like over here in the States that most people assume that parks or open country is open for caches unless expressly forbidden. Also, people in general,not just geocachers, seem to think that any open space, unless blocked by a fence or marked with a No Trespassing sign, is open to all. Not all of this is always correct, but it doesn't often lead to problems.

However, I'm sure that most cachers have a story to tell of being yelled at for being somewhere they didn't belong. It makes things much better for all if you do get permission first.

Just my thoughts.

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

Or at least where Area 51 is rumored to exist.  It doesn't exist though.

FYI,

Well, of course it exists. But it's currently called R-4808. I have it on the best authority that they change the name periodically to confuse the aliens. :P

There are hundreds of these areas of restricted airspace all over the country.