Help, Trying To Teach A Class On Geocaching

Most hams like toys and understand technical concepts quickly - I would say introduce the concepts of the GPS system, explain how a GPSr calculates its location on earth, give 'em the basics of geocaching procedure.

Have a laptop with a PQ, Street Atlas or similar mapping program, and GSAK loaded to show how caches appear on a map.

Have a Palm loaded with CacheMate to show the complete paperless caching gear.

Then show how ham radio and APRS can be used in geocaching - we of the AGA cache in groups, and use simplex comms and APRS to keep up with one another.

More important than all that, hide a cache outside the building and let them use a GPS to go find it!

Good luck!

Ed

W4AGA

I have done several geocaching seminars , before that GPS seminars. I have never used power point, I would have liked to but had not access to a power point projector. . The last 4 or 5 were done in the field were I hid 8 caches in a local park for the students to look for. All but two of the caches are still active. The lecture part took about 60 in, then the class would set out to find the caches in groups in different directions. Each cache is an example common hides styles. (No Lamp post). Most of the students for the caches in about two hours, if they chose to look for all of them. The field portion of the seminar required two other people to help out loading waypoints into the GPSr that the students brought with them. At the end each group would hide a cache from the other one, this was very popular.

I also have done a semminar for my ham radio club, but this just done in our club house at night. this one took about and hour. Keep it simple and not to technical, unless they start to ask real technical questions.