Coordinate Translation

Ok, I've been out of the caching forums loop for awhile, but I need some help. There's a couple I was asked to help after they heard about the Geocaching group we have at church. They need to sell some land they own due to financial reasons and I said I'd look into it. My problem is with figuring out the coordinates with northing/easting and what-not.

Examples would be:

S 89° 01' 34' E

N 01° 08' 37" W

N 89° 01' 44" W

S 89° 01' 48" E

N 01° 52' 11" W

I have links to coordinate converstion applets, but just don't understand one iota about how to enter this info to convert it. Fortunately, I do have at least a start of a coordinate system, with one of the pieces of land having a physical address, though no structures exist on it, and was able to glean a base lat/long. I do have all land side measurements, so once one of the corners is determined, getting the rest I don't think will be too tough. The purpose of this is to mark out the pins on the corners of the properties. Once we get corner coords, the rest will be done with a metal detector.

Can someone throw me a bone on where to go from here? I'd really like to help this couple out, and it seems I could learn quite a bit out of it.

GIS map info is available at http://gis.doa.state.mt.us/ . Land info is Sec20 T6N R24E, specifcally Geocode 23151920401020000 (in Musselshell county)

Edited by Brian - Team A.I.
S 89° 01' 34' E

N 01° 08' 37" W

N 89° 01' 44" W

S 89° 01' 48" E

N 01° 52' 11" W

Those look like bearings, not coordinates. I assume you found them on a land deed. The deed should give you a starting point at one of the corners of the property, and then you traverse the boundaries using the distances and bearings.

........N........

........|.........

90 W - E 90

........|........

........S........

Turning the angles at the corners is where you would normally use a transit. To convert to "compass" bearings, use the diagram above, which is another way to look at the normal 0-360 representation.

e.g. for "S 89° 01' 34' E":

1) Start at "S", or 180 degreees

2) Swing 89.01.34 to the "E"

3) giving a north bearing of 90.58.26, or about due east

Using some basic trig, you should be able to plot a sketch. Good luck finding the corners!

-WR

Edited by WaldenRun

I agree that those look like bearings. Often property description will have some point where it starts and will take you to one corner of the property. From there you will transverse a loop around the property. Again normally at each corner there will be some marker, around here a common corner marker is a piece of rebar that is sunk 3-12 inches below the surface. The plot should tell you what the corner marker is.

Now a couple little warning, if you go out to look for the markers do not disturb them. In many states it is technically a criminal offense to intentionally disturb the marker. Also, it is also my understanding that in all states the only people that are allowed to formally verify or perform a plot of survey or mark the corner for sale (a requirement is some states, counties or multiplicities) are licensed professional surveyors. Finally, finding the corner markers can be a real pain.

Brian-

Try contacting the local Office of Planning & Grants and asking if they have a county GIS (not just the state wide one- I assure you they will have something). Here in Missoula county they have a pretty good one that can give you the data you are looking for- but only (it seems) if you know the right person to ask. I'd be more help in Gallatin or Missoula as I know folks in those groups. Good luck!

And listen to NickL's warning about surveyors. When a friend of ours tried to do their own work the county disregarded it as it wasn't certifiable (among other things).

Later,

Jennifer

Edited by Jennifer&Dean