Traveling Micro/travel Bug Combo

Ghostcat78

I've searched for Travel bug caches and i've found lots of confusing info and heated opinions. So i'll present my scenerio and let the mods decide. I've got a 4 inch dicast metal toyota 4-runner I want to use as a travel bug. I'm considering attaching a hide-a-key container on the top to put it's instructions and a logbook inside. That got me thinking that it could double as a movable micro cache also. Here's the dillema; would it make it a locationless cache since you have to find it to log it or would it be some other type? I wasn't sure if I could even get it approved as both. Either way it will still be a travel bug. Just courious if TPTB could answer if this is legal by GC guidelines.

(BTW, I originally posted this in the TB forum and got no response)

Technically it would be a spork. But truly it would be a travel bug first and then a traveling micro 2nd. Either way it still will be sent out as just one or both. I've read the guidelines and did a search and come to the conclusion that there is no good conclusion as of yet. Why couldn't it become a traveling micro since it's already a "travel" bug. It's simple in concept, you have to find it to log it.

Technically it would be a spork. But truly it would be a travel bug first and then a traveling micro 2nd. Either way it still will be sent out as just one or both. I've read the guidelines and did a search and come to the conclusion that there is no good conclusion as of yet. Why couldn't it become a traveling micro since it's already a "travel" bug. It's simple in concept, you have to find it to log it.

As far as I'm concerned (and I could be way out here), it's a travel bug. Therefore, you are free to attach anything you want to it.

Let this serve as an example...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=118979

:o

Let me restate what I think you are trying to do:

Attach a container to a hitch hiker so there is a log and possibily trinkets. You want to list it as a TB and a cache with the result being it having both a TB page and a cache page.

If this is what you are trying then it's not a moving cache, but a so-called "parasite cache." A moving cache moves independently of any other cache. A parasite cache is much like a TB in that it only moves from cache to cache.

I asked about this a long time back because I wanted the parasite to be tracked like a TB, but pop up on folks' nearest lists when I change the coords to reflect the new location. For various reasons, this would no longer be feasible. Even at the time, it was strongly discouraged and I got the impression from a reviewer it wouldn't get approved.

In today's climate, I very much believe it would not get approved.

Now, if you want to go ahead and attach the container, and send it out as a TB with logbook and trade items, then that is perfectly acceptable.

Hope this helps.

As far as I can tell, parasite caches are just fine... so long as they are travelbugs. At one point, you could make a real cache that was a parasite, but for consistancy, since there is now a travelbug, there was no longer a need for "parasite caches" since all they would be was effectively travelbugs that give a smiley. Therefore, no more parasite caches will be allowed.