Help! I'm a moron newbie!!!

stargazer21

OK, first of all...Hi! I've been lurking through all the forums for days now, trying really hard to have some basic knowledge on what the heck I'm doing. But I got my ETrex (yellow) today and now I'm stuck... icon_rolleyes.gif

I think I've got it set up, and I even set my home coordinates! But now I've gotta ask, how do I enter the coords for a cache site? There's one about 3 miles from the casa and we want to go here in a little while, but I can't figure out how to get the info from the piece of paper (yes, I'm doing it the old fashioned way...) to the GPS. I've been trying for about 2 hours now, and haven't gotten anywhere.

I hate that my first post is something so simple that it's probably right in front of me. It's also probably a scarey thought of me trying to get around in the woods when I can't even get past the second step, eh? icon_wink.gif ANY help would really be appreciated...

Ok, I'm not trying to be smart ***, but have you read the section of the manual that tells you how to enter coordinates. If still doesn't make sense you should be able to buy a basic how to use your GPS video tape for your model. Most stores that sell GPS's have them.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that, but I have a Magellan.

Stargazer, don't hesitate to ask these simple questions.

We all had to start somewhere, these GPS units require that you think a little out of the box to understand what's going on. The manuals are well written, but the written word can sometimes be mis-interpreted. (see: attorney)

Another tool at your disposal that people love to point to is that little search link on the top of this page.

Not everything has been discussed and there are always new issues popping up, but there are a few basic topics that have been looked at so often that the old timers get a little twitchy when they pop up yet again.

Welcome to everyones' favorite PHRG.

The data cable is a good idea, but keep it in mind that the only thing you can use the data cable for is upgrading the software for the unit itself and for something like EasyGPS.....there is no mapping capability in this unit at all.

I use EasyGPS with my yellow eTrex, it's much easier to download the cache info from the website than to manually enter the coordinates.

Chip

WooHoo!!! We found it! Kinda weird to have an epiphany in the middle of the woods in 100 degree heat with a little Tupperware container full of toys in your lap...but very, very cool! icon_wink.gif

My GPS said I was still off by 61ft, even when we had the cache in our hot little hands. Is it normal to be off a bit? (I mean the reciever, not me.. icon_biggrin.gif) Also, I had a difference of .7 miles from my starting point on the GPS and what the site said. Do I need to reset my home coords?

A data cord is a definate in the near future. Just hoping that it doesn't give my POS computer the heeby-jeebies...

Also, my apologies if these questions have been asked a gazzillion times. I did look, but I apparently have issues with forum searches...as I usually can't find what I'm looking for. I guess search engines and I don't speak the same language. icon_confused.gif Anyway, if someone wants to yell at me, that's cool. Can't ruin my good mood! icon_biggrin.gif (But I am sorry..)

Thanks again for the help. Just planned a hunt with the sis and BIL for tomorrow... icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by stargazer21:

WooHoo!!! We found it! Kinda weird to have an epiphany in the middle of the woods in 100 degree heat with a little Tupperware container full of toys in your lap...but very, very cool! icon_wink.gif

...Anyway, if someone wants to yell at me, that's cool.

CONGRATS ON THE FIND!

there will surely be more to follow!

quote:
Originally posted by stargazer21:

Kinda weird to have an epiphany in the middle of the woods in 100 degree heat with a little Tupperware container full of toys in your lap...but very, very cool! icon_wink.gif

Welcome to our addiction stargazer icon_biggrin.gif

I wouldn't say it's to bad to be off by 61 ft in the readings, depending on tree cover and whether or not you have your etrex on "normal" or "battery saver" mode. I usually follow the GPS til the last 100ft then use what some here call the force.

Happy Caching

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

quote:
Originally posted by Mushu:

Stargazer, don't hesitate to ask these simple questions.

(SNIP)

Welcome to everyones' favorite PHRG.

HEY! What did I say about using that Acronym before it's approvied?!

"Grandma, hand me the rubber chicken! I gotta wallop MUSHA!"

(WHAP!!) There, now don't do it again!

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)