Camping & Caching Near Denver

MaestroPCG

Hey,

I need some help for a trip that I'm taking to Denver in late March/early April. I plan to go camping in the Rockies with my kids while I'm there, but I don't want to just find a populated campground. Anyone got any info on some nice backcountry camping - maybe something near a river or lake up in the mountains where we can fish (and, of course, cache)?

Any info from the natives would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

MaestroPCG

Welcome to Colorfull Colorado. Maestro and Family!

Here is a place that we had an event in 2003 thats is quiet and has an excellent trail (Abyss). There are a few caches in the area as well.

Don't forget the Rocky Mountain National Park for plenty of GREAT vistas and some virtual caches in the Park itself.

To the North of the park up Colorado Hi. 14, you can get up to the Cameron Pass area and there are plenty of recreational spots up there. One of my favorite camp areas is Crags campground and a nice hike up to Lake Agnes. The trails don't stop there. You can hike to hearts content in the back country. (Don't forget to register at the trail heads).

Hope this will help some. I am sure there will be some others to get you information as well.

Z

Late March and early April are usually still snow covered in the backcountry. Most of the USFS campgrounds that I know of are usually not opened until May. Larimer County has some parks that are open early and there is fishing there also. And I know of several good caches nearby that require a serious hike or two.

The USFS has a List of Campgrounds that are around here.

And here is another resource for your use. Look me up and I could even give you a guided Tour if I'm off work.

Thanks to all who have offered advice so far. We're actually going to be visiting my Dad in nearby Wheat Ridge. We came out last year for spring break during the last week of March and had BEAUTIFUL weather, but I'm guessing from some of your responses that this is the exception, not the rule.

During our last trip, we drove around a lot with Dad, but didn't really get to spend any real time in the Rockies. This year, I've allotted two days to spend in the mountains, but based on what I'm hearing, this may not be a feasible option if they're still covered in snow.

I guess I'm dreaming of this picturesque scene of me and my kids up in the mountains, camping near a great little fishing spot, with NO crowds...is this possible, or have I been watching too much Travel Channel?

Thanks,

PCG

As Tahosa said, it will be cold and snowy that time of year in the mountains.

If you don't mind that, Golden Gate State Park is close to Denver and fun in the winter. They even have <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=ice%20fishing" onmouseover="window.status='ice fishing'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">ice fishing</a> available.

I second Golden Gate Canyon, nice place!

if you wanna go backcountry in march/april....you will need cross-country skis, snowshoes and an avalanche beacon. if you should happen to make down to the colorado springs area, check out Mueller State Park. nice camping, isolated over the backside of pikes peak, and several caches up and down the highway over there.