Gps Buying Dillemma, Please Help!

Hello all, I have lurked here as a guest for a while and I fancy getting a GPS Unit. I will also use it for driving and thus have shortlisted the Garmin GPSMap 60CS. I like the idea of having the compass built in.

My dillemma is this... I currently live in the UK, however in less than a year I am hopefully emigrating to Australia. SO where do I buy one from, UK or OZ....well the prices in both countries are rather high and so I wonder if a USA sourced GPS will be ok to use?

I know the base map is factory set, and the best detail is determined by where it is bought from.

IF I buy a US sourced GPS, will I still get the full benefit from itboth in the UK, and also later in Australia. Will I get the benefits if I buy extra software such as Worldmap, Metrosource Australia and or Europe. And even perhaps the City navigator stuff (again a bit pricey at the mo)

So please, experienced GPS buyers/users, look in and tell me your thoughts.

Thanks again.

CM

Edited by Colonial Marine

Also IF I buy in the USA, have any of you used the following, and got anything to say about them, or perhaps recommend another supplier?

www.gps-planet.com

www.gpsonsale.com (Cheapest so far)

www.gpsdiscount.com

www.gpscity.com

http://safetracgps.com

All the above have been selected on price alone at this stage, as I know nothing about them. They are all within $20 anyway so I wont worry about a few extra bucks to get good service.

Thanks again

CM

PS I will be getting the unit delivered to a mates hotel, he is going to be in the USA for a holiday shortly, so I wont have to worry about postage charges as a factor.

From what I understand/have experienced:

1. The unit will work anywhere. Depending on where you buy, it will have a different Basemap preloaded on it and the Basemaps are not changeabe, but yes, you can use the American model in Europe and Australia.

2. In order to use the mapping functions of the American model you will need to load detailed maps. The Worldmap provides Basemap type coverage to areas where you have no basemap.

3. In order to use the Autorouting function of the 60cs, you need to use City Select, although I am not sure if they offer a City Select Australia (they do offer City Select Europe)

As far as the Suppliers you mentioned, I have used GPSDiscount, and GPSCity, and both were great, but I have no knowledge for how they would be for an out of country transaction.

Hope this helps!!

I purchased a 76CS from GPSdiscount last week & was very satisfied with their service. Be sure to include shipping costs in your total purchase amount. GPSdiscount had free shipping (probably doesn't apply to overseas orders but you never know) and bumped it up to FedEx 2-day.

One thing to consider is warranty coverage. If you buy a US or Oz unit, will the warranty be honored in the UK? I know many electronic manufacturers won't cover something bought in another country.

Thanks Renegade Knight, Centexdodger, Oceanairre, JPinAZ and Hbear/Jroo for your replies.

So am I right in assuming that if I bought a US 60CS and combined it with Metroguide Australia I would get the same level of detail (or better) for both road maps and Topographical maps as if I'd bought an Australian 60CS with its Ozzie basemap?

Im not too bothered about Cityselect software at the moment coz its a bit pricey. If I see a bargain I'll get it but it's not ugent at the moment.

Also I am interested mainly in the geocaching aspect so it's the basemap/topo maps Im interested in primarily.

I guess then the basemaps supllied are pretty basic, albeit a bit more detail than the Worldmap.

Thanks again for your replies.

Regards

CM

Colonial,

Just to clarify your last post, Metroguide Australia will not provide topographical detail, just streets, roads, highways and POIs. It will provide a much greater level of detail than the Aussie basemap. If you are after topo coverage you may be out of luck.

The Worldmap product is equal to the Basemap, it just provides basic coverage to areas where you don't have a basemap, or where detailed maps are not offered.

You can preview all the products on Garmin's Website. Under the Cartography section, each product has a map viewer.

Thanks CenTexDodger and Kevin,

I am a bit disappointed re there being no TOPO for Australia. You'd think its the sort of place that needs it <_< but hey, Im not even a noob yet so what do I know.

Thanks again for the advice and info.

CM

If anyone finds any uber bargains for City Select Europe and or Australia please let me know. The prices seem pretty standard across the board at the moment, even ebay!

Alas, amazon are one of the few who will deliver to a hotel in the USA when I order using a UK credit card. Compuplus wont deliver to a different country to where the billing address is.

Decent price anyway so I'll stick with amazon.

Im going to go with a US Unit as I am sure I'll weaken and buy the necessary City navigator/City Select sotware after a few weeks.

Thanks again to all replies.

Regards

CM