Finding An Address' Lat/lon

gridlox

My wife is a nurse and goes to several conferences & training seminars during the year that are out of town. I normally travel with her.

Why not! The clinic is paying the whole room, her food and travel expenses! <_<

Makes for a cheap get-away from the kids for mom & dad!!

Especially when we drive and we only have to pay for "MY" food.

Last August we spent 4 days & 3 nights in Nashville and it only cost us $140 bucks after they reimbursed us all her expenses! ;):huh:

But I digress...

Now that I'm into GCing, it will give me something to do while she's in class, other than hang at the hotel or checkout some lame tourist trap.

What I'd like to do is be able to look up the lat/lon for a specific address.

Usually will be the hotel where we stay.

Then I can go to the GC website, plug the lat/lon into the search and load the ones in the area into my GPS.

Any leads?

TIA

D-man :huh:

I have exactly the opposite (reverse) problem. Caches will often mention the lat/long of a parking spot, and I want to mapquest to the parking spot but can't figure out how.

Mark it as a waypoint and head there first. I mark all caches by their GC ID in my GPSr, so I will have:

GCABCD - 0 for a parking spot listed

GCABCD for a single location cache

GCABCD - 1 for the first of a multi

GCABCD - 2 for the second

etc......

Or put it into USAPhotomaps and display it on a topo map or aerial photo, zoomable. It uses terraserver imagery, and is very cool software. You can import the .gpx file with the pocket queries, and display all the caches, as well as transfer the waypoints to and from your GPS, and display your tracks and routes on the map/photo, and make your own routes for uploading to the GPS.

can import the .gpx file with the pocket queries, and display all the caches, as well as transfer the waypoints to and from your GPS, and display your tracks and routes on the map/photo, and make your own routes for uploading to the GPS.

:::bag on head:::

You know, I get a PQ every day, and still haven't figured out how to upload them to the GPS. That's my next project to learn. I can see where making the route like that would be helpful. We've done it on paper so far.

Isn't this the feature of Mapquest that you are needing ?

Yes! Yes! Thank you! That is exactly what I needed! Thank you!

I have bookmarked that. In the off-chance that I ever need to access that when I don't have access to my own computers' favorites...how do you access that page from Mapquest? I had tried to find something like that from their homepage about a month ago and came up empty.

Thank you!!

:::doing a happy Snoopy dance:::

In my Geocaching Combo Utilities there’s a utility called Map Coordinates that does this. You just enter the coordinates in any format you want and it gives you a choice of several maps

:::Bag on head:::

Sorry about my ignorance. What is a "Combo Utility," please?

Click on the link, go to the top of the page.

Here's a dumb question: How to I put the coordinates that my GPSr lists as my home waypoint into the proper format to use that Mapquest tool? For example:

N41 19.147

W072 58.212

I tried using the decimal option and entered 41.19147 and -72.58212 but it put me out in the middle of long island sound.

I know it's a newbie thing, but have mercy on me!

Tx

Isn't this the feature of Mapquest that you are needing ?

Yes! Yes! Thank you! That is exactly what I needed! Thank you!

I have bookmarked that. In the off-chance that I ever need to access that when I don't have access to my own computers' favorites...how do you access that page from Mapquest? I had tried to find something like that from their homepage about a month ago and came up empty.

Thank you!!

:::doing a happy Snoopy dance:::

From the Mapquest.com main page: Click the MAPS icon top right

It's between FIND IT and Directions icons

On this next page, you should see an OPTIONS section just Below where you

would type in the street Address.

Options

Map by Lat/Long

City Maps

Click on Map by Lat/Long and you are there..