Garmin Etrex

mobile one

Find a cache, locate by zip code and look around. Print out the "print friendly" sheet (there's a button on the left side to make it print friendly).

Wait until your etrex "acquires" satellites, go to the main menu. The easiest way, first time, I think: use the "Mark" button to mark your current location in your yard. Then highlight the number/name at the top and use the toggle to change it to a short name you'll recognize. When you get to the park, you can "mark" your car's location the same way. After you hit "OK" for the name, then highlight and change the coordinates to match the page. After you "OK" that, then use the "goto" function and it will give you distance and direction to the cache.

Hope you have the instruction book to make it easier. They can be downloaded.

I have the 12 channel personal navigator. I do have the instruction book but still trying to figure it out. Thanks for your help. I wasn,t sure if I had to have additional soft ware in order to get started.

They all are 12 channel personal navigators. Do you have the Vista, Venture, Legend, Camo or basic yellow model?

You are looking for the section of the manual that describes how to "Mark a Waypoint". I had an etrex yellow (the most basic kind) but unfortunately it disappeared at an event this summer :o , so I'm at a loss to remember the exact button sequences to do this.

If your etrex came with a data cable that plugs into your computer, then you have the option to download waypoints from the geocaching.com website. The advantage of doing this is that a) you don't have to spend a lot of time punching in numbers and ;) you won't make mistakes entering the wrong digit. It's very easy to make a mistake and send yourself off on a wild goose chase. You can get the required software here for free.

Do you have the complete user manual, or just the little "getting started" manual? You can download the complete manual from Garmin which will give you step by step instructions.