Snow Caching

Team Tayjam

I love snow caching! How? Well, if you pick rural caches, you can snow shoe or cross country ski to the cache. In any case, be prepared for the difficulty to increase because the cache may be under snow.

I like to do what would normally be easy urban caches in the snow. It makes them challenging. Last year I dnf'd a tupperware under a tree that was normally so easy to find that people posted they expected it to get stolem anytime. Things are different when under several feet of snow!

I'm getting ready to try my hand at it. We'll see how it goes.

Here are a couple thoughts based on other outdoor activities in snow.

1. Wear rubber knee-high boots to keep your feet dry.

2. Layer your socks. First layer = silk liners. Second layer = wool.

3. This may be your opportunity for a FTF if others aren't willing/able to do it.

4. Neoprene or other waterproof gloves could come in handy when pushing snow away.

5. If you're not FTF, it should be "easy" to find - you'll see the tracks of others before you. Heck, you should be able to find it without a GPSr.

6. I know some people use snow shoes. I don't.

7. Deep snow and young kids without snow shoes - not a good combination.

8. Consider ski or snow pants to keep your legs dry in very deep snow.

I'm getting ready to try my hand at it. We'll see how it goes.

Here are a couple thoughts based on other outdoor activities in snow.

1. Wear rubber knee-high boots to keep your feet dry.

2. Layer your socks. First layer = silk liners. Second layer = wool.

3. This may be your opportunity for a FTF if others aren't willing/able to do it.

4. Neoprene or other waterproof gloves could come in handy when pushing snow away.

5. If you're not FTF, it should be "easy" to find - you'll see the tracks of others before you. Heck, you should be able to find it without a GPSr.

6. I know some people use snow shoes. I don't.

7. Deep snow and young kids without snow shoes - not a good combination.

8. Consider ski or snow pants to keep your legs dry in very deep snow.

Very good points.

Here is how to do it wrong, just as I did this last weekend in cold rain and some light snow! Don't do what I do!

1. Wear your old leaky boots because you have been too cheap to buy waterproof ones.

2. Wear any old pair of socks (OK, I did actually wear wool ones this past weekend).

3. Wear those thin stretchy cotton gloves.

4. Wear jeans and fall in a mud puddle.

5. Forget your hat.

:rolleyes::unsure:

Oh, man, do I ever want to snow cache with you, Carleen! B) Everyone needs a good laugh every now and then. B)

The January 3 logs on this cache (especially Stunod's) tell part of the story. In Corp of Discovery's posted pic, I am wearing big work gloves borrowed from Stunod since my own had gotten soaked much earlier in the day.

I did order new waterproof boots and some nylon pants yesterday. Talk about learning the hard way! B)

Oh, man, do I ever want to snow cache with you, Carleen!  B)  Everyone needs a good laugh every now and then.  B)

The January 3 logs on this cache (especially Stunod's) tell part of the story. In Corp of Discovery's posted pic, I am wearing big work gloves borrowed from Stunod since my own had gotten soaked much earlier in the day.

I did order new waterproof boots and some nylon pants yesterday. Talk about learning the hard way! B)

Ha! At least it looks like you were all having fun. :D

This is why I asked the question -- so I wouldn't have to go out and learn the hard way. I can learn from your mistakes! B)

I'll ignore adding gear advice (other than snowshoes and a shovel)

They flat out get harder to find in the snow. Some at the base of a tree can be easy, and a lot of remote caches are not hidden much harder than that. However you need to do your homework and *gasp* read the clues before you go.

The cache and the clues may be buried. "Cache is under the log" is going to doom you in the woods. "Cache is at the base of the Black Spruce in the middle of the quaken asps..." now you can probably find it.

Your judgment on what can be found based on the area, snow depth etc. comes into play. The shovel is because hicking sticks and gloves don't do well for digging in teh snow. Besides once you find it, you are going to put it all back to prevent the cache from being discovered on accident...

On thing that no one has mentioned....Along the way, and especially if you do find the cache, make sure to leave lots of extra footprints. Walk around and disturb the snow in other areas and around other trees. Leave the trail several times along the way.

This not only makes sure the next cacher cant just follow your path, but also makes non-cachers less interested. If you are walking down a trail in new snow, and the set of footprints you are following suddenly leaves the trail, dont you wonder why? Would you follow them to see where they went?

Have fun.

I went out this morning, hoping to be a FTF'er. Someone beat me to it, but interestingly enough, their tracks were not near the cache (?). They signed the log book this morning and there were tracks in the area, but how the heck did they do it without leaving tracks at the cache site?

I did leave tracks and I walked around quite a bit, but it will be pretty obvious where the cache is anyway. Big snowfall predicted for tonight, so only the people going out today will get clues from MY tracks.