Going Commando!?

angusfire

Call me crazy :blink: but I believe geocaching is much more exciting and way more rewarding without the aid of a GPSr. Printing out the street and topo maps make the search much more, well, a search. More like a real treasure hunt. Yes, I do have a GPSr. Is there anyone else out there that agrees with me or am I the only physco that likes to roam the woods lost for hours at a time.

May the lost roam free,

Angusfire

All but three or four of my caches have been found without a gps. But not necessarily by choice. It started out that I simply couldn't afford a gps, but I read a cache page near my house. I researched it, read the clues, printed the mapquest map and went right to it. I did more research and discovered there were nearly 500 caches within 100 miles of my house and a good majority of them were level 1 or 2 in difficulty. I started with the level 1 caches that were within 30 miles of home and found most of them.

I have built notebook of cache pages that I would like to find. I carry this book with me all the time. Whenever I'm in Tulsa for a meeting, I try to pick up a cache in the area. Whenever I'm in an area that I would not normally go, I do a search for caches in that area. Just yesterday, I discovered two new caches that are in a town nearby, where I have a house listed for sale. I will most likely be back over there in the next few days, so I printed the pages, did the maps, and I'm ready to go.

I consider myself a casual cacher. I have only spent three days actually dedicated to cache finds. My wife and I went looking for virtuals in Tulsa one Saturday morning. We found 11 of them. I went caching one Saturday near my in-laws and found 8 of them. I went with a team (my finds with a gps) after a Where's George gathering awhile back. All other finds have been at one/two at a time only when I was in the area.

I still plan on getting a gps, but after awhile I decided I would wait until I had 100 finds. I am now at 118, but I don't have the funds to get a gps yet. There are several caches that are level 1 that have still escaped me, even after several visits to the location *hangs head in embarassement!*.

Back to the topic of your post, I totally agree. I think I enjoy the search/hunt more than anything. I have only traded in three caches thus far. I have trade items in the car usually, but it's the search that I enjoy so much. Keep on caching gps-free!

<_<

I found my first seven without a GPS unit. After that I borrowed one which I barely knew how to use. Then my husband got me one for my birthday. That was 16 months ago. I'm at 90 caches found so far.

WaldenRun has found 2000+ caches; this person does not use a GPS unit, but he sometimes travels with others who do.