Newbie here....

Publius64

With any of the versions of the Etrex that comes with the serial cable, you can download waypoints from Geocaching.com to your computer and then to you Etrex. I don't know if the serial cable comes with the Basic Etrex. (I have the Venture.)

Check out www.easygps.com for a freeware program that is incredibly easy to use. I am pretty new at geocaching also, and have been very impressed with how easy it is to find caches near me, and download them to my Etrex.

You can put waypoints in manually by just making and editing one at a time. But, EasyGPS lets you download a group of points and a route.

It also lets you upload your own waypoints and routes from your Etrex, and save them on your computer.

I hope this helps.

Welcome from another "newbie"!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

It's the yellow Etrex, and no I didn't get a serial cable for it.... I wouldn't know where to hook up the serial cable.... seems like there is no place for it. I guess when you want inexpensive, you get inexpensive..... bleh... Yeah, I'm excited about going for my first cache. I commute to Fort Myers, FL and back to Naples and got waypoints both ways.... I love my etrex, but I don't see a place for a serial cable.

Help!!!!

Pub.

Brian... icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Publius64:

It's the yellow Etrex, and no I didn't get a serial cable for it.... I wouldn't know where to hook up the serial cable.... seems like there is no place for it.

Check the manual. You will see that at the top back of the unit is a roughly triangular rubber area. Lift the lower point up; the serial connection is beneath it.

The easiest way to enter a waypoint on the yellow is to hold down the enter button on the side for a few seconds, then scroll down and enter the different coordinates. And don't knock the basic etrex, all of the rest of the line just have more features, that one will be very reliable and useful. The BLM and forest service as well as some of the game and fish dept here issue the basic yellow etrex. I have one also, and liked it. I did upgrade to a Legend and a Vista, but sold the Legend and kept the yellow and the Vista. You really should take a few hours and read the manual through and do it on the move as it describes. All will become clear! Have fun and start saving for all the new toys that come with the "cheap" entertainment!

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

quote:

My first cache I left a bag of home-made beef-jerky and picked up an Oakley Wristband.... icon_smile.gif

Brian... icon_smile.gif

Food in a cache is a no-no. From the Geocaching FAQ

quote:
What shouldn't be in a cache?

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:

It's the yellow Etrex, and no I didn't get a serial cable for it.... I wouldn't know where to hook up the serial cable.... seems like there is no place for it. I guess when you want inexpensive, you get inexpensive..... bleh... Yeah, I'm excited about going for my first cache. I commute to Fort Myers, FL and back to Naples and got waypoints both ways.... I love my etrex, but I don't see a place for a serial cable.

Help!!!!

Pub.

Brian... icon_smile.gif

On top of the yellow eTrex is a black rubber patch, it peels back to reveal the contacts.

Mice_in_Snake.jpg

Capn Skully

quote:

I guess when you want inexpensive, you get inexpensive..... bleh...

Don't knock it, tomorrow I'm hitting my 100th cache with mine, and I haven't regretted it yet. Someone recently asked me about a good GPS for marking fishing spots, after the guy at the store was in his face about all the software he needed. I told him to get the yellow. There's not a thing wrong with it. I don't have the serial cable. I occasionally wish I had maps, but it's never been a big issue.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut