The Wife's Garmin 60c

Shop99er

Here we go again.

The wife bought a 60C about a month ago. The on-board software was V3.5. I went to update it to 3.6 today. Everything seemed to be going along just fine, and BOOM! things went south on me.

The USB connection isn't being recognized byt the Updater. And, just to make it interesting, there is no software at all in her Garmin.

Needless to say, niether one of us is real happy right now.

So, my major problem is, WTH do I have to do to get the software in this dadgum thing? I don't care if it's 3.5 or 3.6!!

I just want it to work.

Thanks,

Mark

Sorry, what a bummer and you won't be able to talk to Garmin until next year. I am always afraid that will happen to me when I try to update. Probably why I still have Windows 98 on my laptop. Hope someone more knowledgeable than I am will come along with a good suggestion. Dick, W7WT

Consumer devices that are flashable typically have a very low-level bit of boot code that is in EPROM. That code doesn't do much other than handle the flash upgrade process and I/O. On top of this boot piece, the GPS runtime starts. Similar to the way the BIOS loads before your PC boots MacOS or Windoze.

What has happened, most likely, is the GPS runtime is messed up, but not the boot code in EPROM. You're seriously inconvenienced, but not hosed. Call Garmin and explain the situation to them. They will need you to send the unit in and they will do the flashing for you. You will be without the unit for a week or so, depending on how you send it in. Typically, their turnaround time is a day or two.

800-800-1020.

You're seriously inconvenienced, but not hosed. Call Garmin and explain the situation to them.

I'm not inconvienced at all. The wife is though.

If she's not mad, she's missing a helluva chance. :unsure:

Anyhoo, I'm gonna call Garmin Monday, and see what's what.

It could be a USB problem caused the other one first

I have had to reinstall the Garmin USB drivers twice now. (don't know why). In Device Manager (Control Panel/System/Hardware/GARMIN Devices) delete the Gamin device and reinstall the drivers (install new hardware). They are on the website and the CDROM I believe.

(If you are using a USB to RS232 adaptor, first, make sure first the usb port is working and recognizing the adaptor? If you have another serial device you can test using that).

Then once you know the USB port is happy, plug in the 60. The bootloader code may be in a non-volitile memory and still work.

(Some industrial eq I use is set up this way ('zombie mode'). I can still push in the new code if an update fails with the flash wiped. I don't know if G does this or not though.)