Help A Mac Os X Guy Out

greengenes

I've got a GARMIN eTrex (the basic yellow one), an Apple iMac, the serial cable, the USB to RS 232 converter and the app GPS Connect.

When I open GPS connect, the SERIAL PORT pull-down menu only lists the option of MODEM. I'm guessing I need to select something along the lines of "USB port", but haven't the option. Does the GPS need to be in some particular mode? I've tried the GARMIN settings AND the NMEA settings under the "INTERFACE" menu, but still nothing.

When I click "CONNECT", that button changes to "DISCONNECT" (like it actually connects) but then when I click DOWNLOAD WAYPOINTS, I get a "beep" from my computer (as if to say "Nope, no good")

Do I have to chalk this one up as "Stupid Macintosh Lack Of Compatibility"?

Which RS232->USB did you get? Does it have drivers? I think the one I used before had drivers that would give me an option other than "modem". I tried a generic one that didn't have any drivers for it and it didn't give me anything so I had to get a more expensive (Keyspan) one that worked perfectly.

Now I use an OOOOLD PC for this instead of my Mac(s), so my memory is a bit shaky on it.

Which RS232->USB did you get? Does it have drivers? I think the one I used before had drivers that would give me an option other than "modem". I tried a generic one that didn't have any drivers for it and it didn't give me anything so I had to get a more expensive (Keyspan) one that worked perfectly.

Now I use an OOOOLD PC for this instead of my Mac(s), so my memory is a bit shaky on it.

I didn't even notice the disc in the back of the package (thanks Robert). I tried installing the driver but, apparently, it's not OS X compatible. The date on the driver is 2000. Any suggestions where to get OS X-friendly gear/hardware/software?