Newbie Questions

Pathy1

Got my Garmin V today, been playing with it indoors only so far but it seems even better then I thought. Anyhow, my newbie questions:

1. Is the consensus here that EasyGPS is the easiest and best way to interface with the waypoints? I been playing with EasyGPS tonight and it does seem much easier then manually entering.

2. The V holds like 500 waypoints I think...is there any reason I can't just load up a ton of caches in there to keep for whenever I want them?

3. Do most of you print out a copy of the Cache page to take with you? I was thinking that after loading up the V with waypoints I would print out the cache page and maybe make some sort of organized notebook to keep in my truck. Good or bad idea? or not necessary?

Thanks for any info. I can't wait to log my first caches tomorrow!

First, congrats on the purchase of a Garmin V - I've heard very good things about that unit.

1. EasyGPS is the way to go - it is quick and easy, what more could you ask for?

2. No reason what-so-ever why you couldn't just load it up with a ton of caches - in fact I recommend doing so. You will want to update that periodically though in case some one has changed the coordinates or archived their cache.

Have you checked the Garmin site for firmware updates? There is likely a newer version available than the one on the unit you just purchased. Occasionally they fix bugs and add new features (like allowing you to have 1000 waypoints now instead of 500). Check http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp for the latest version for your unit.

3. Printing out the cache pages to take with you is a good idea. It is nice to have it on hand if you need the hint. Also comes in handy to explain what you are doing to the authorities should they stop and question you (so I have heard). I wouldn't print out too many at once though, or you could spend hours searching for a cache that has been archived for a while (trust me on that one).

I just moved up to the next level of geogeekness and purchased a palm pilot to take with me. I download the 500 closest caches on to that, and update it every week. No more paper!!!

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Well, EasyGPS is definitely nice, which I use quite a bit.

You *can* upload a ton of waypoints to your unit and just keep them there for when you need them, but keep these things in mind. Some of those caches may be archived/disabled in the interim before you seek it. It might just be better to download them periodically for areas you plan on visiting.

As for keeping an organized notebook with all the cache info, this goes back to my previous paragraph. After you print them all out, some of the caches may log DNFs, which you might not know about at the time you seek the cache. Also, you'll be printing a TON of information, if you also want the logs of cachers who have visited before you. A PDA is truly the way to go, and are relatively inexpensive if you buy an entry-level unit such as the IIIxe. The cost savings printing 500 caches (not to mention time) would be well worth it.

Brian

Team A.I.

Thanks for all the info and tips. I did check for updates for the V but I didnt see anything about 1000 waypoints? Maybe you were just making that up as an example, I wasn't sure. I guess I will just load it up with a reasonable amount of waypoints and just check for updates everynow and then. The paperless idea sounds good in order to have maximum info with you at all times. I have an iPod and I think I can find a way to put text on it, so maybe that will be a way to go. How the heck do you guys carry all this stuff on a trail? I am gonna be loaded down with GPS, Camera, PDA, Water Bottle...what else? I hate fanny packs but it looks as if I may need to get one. I guess I will figure out what I like and need as I go. I think also it would be cool to take pics at each cache and have cache page printed out and my wife can make a scrapbook page for each. Sounds good. Thanks again for all the info and ideas.

Hey y'all, is there a particular program that you are using to download the cache pages onto your Palm? I'm thinking that I could probaly do it with AvantGo but didn't know if there was a more specific program that could be used.

Thanks!

Pathy1: I have a Garmin eTrex Legend, and the most recent firmware available allows for 1000 waypoints now. I thought maybe they would have done the same for the Garmin V. That may be coming soon.

As for carrying all this stuff on the trail, I used to have a backpack - but I would carry around way too much stuff that way. I picked up a camera bag recently (one for a large camera or video camera). It has 3 outside pockets (one for camera, one for GPS, and one for PDA) and I keep a supply of trade items in the center compartment. It has a shoulder strap or I can wear it like a fanny pack. Works fairly well for me. Of course, the trunk of my car is full with all the rest of my geocaching gear (spare hiking boots, trash bags, hiking stick, rain gear, additional trade items, caches ready for placement, etc.) Ya, ok - I'm a little addicted to this sport!

Kealia: I have a Palm IIIxe. Took me a while to get it set up for downloading cache pages, but this is what I found worked best for me. I set up the pocket queries to send me the information in .GPX format. Then I use GPX2HTML and Plucker to load them on the Palm.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

quote:
Originally posted by Pathy1:

Got my Garmin V today, been playing with it indoors only so far but it seems even better then I thought. Anyhow, my newbie questions:

First... welcome to Geocaching.

quote:

1. Is the consensus here that EasyGPS is the easiest and best way to interface with the waypoints? I been playing with EasyGPS tonight and it does seem much easier then manually entering.

EasyGPS is good. Once you get comfortable with it, you might look at ExpertGPS. It is EasyGPS crossed with a power lifter. Many more features and functions. I have tried every program with a free trial period. I also have National Geographic Topo. I use ExpertGPS most. Another program you might find interestion is VisualGPS. It is fun to play with. and if you have a laptop it can help you in the field too.

quote:

2. The V holds like 500 waypoints I think...is there any reason I can't just load up a ton of caches in there to keep for whenever I want them?

No, no reason at all why you cannot do that. However, you should ALWAYs check the cache page and read the last few logs at least just before you go out. It might save you the trouble of looking for a cache that has been stolen or removed for maintenance. If you see notes to the fact, of a few DNFs, pass it by this trip and wait to see if it comes back. One other note. ALWAYS set your vehicle as a waypoint before you start out. You may think it is a 3 mile walk in the park. But you never know. Just get in the habbit. I call mine JEEP.

quote:

3. Do most of you print out a copy of the Cache page to take with you? I was thinking that after loading up the V with waypoints I would print out the cache page and maybe make some sort of organized notebook to keep in my truck. Good or bad idea? or not necessary?

I do print out the "PRINTER FRIENDLY" version, because it has the clues on it. If I hike 5 miles to find a cache, and I am having problems, I WILL turn to the cluse before I hike back that 5 miles and log a DNF after a 10 mile hike.

quote:

Thanks for any info. I can't wait to log my first caches tomorrow!

Again, welcome to geocaching. Read the forums here. Try to overlook the few jerks that always post inflamatory stuff, gather your information, and do not be afraid to ask for help in the forums. Do try to post it in the right area if possible, helps target better answers.

Good luck.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Some extended answers, out of order...

from this page for the download of the firmware updates, it appears that the Garmin V has not gotten an update for 1000 waypoints. The Garmin GPS 76S has on its last update.

As others have said, I use EasyGPS to grab the waypoints and load them up. But I also have other waypoints in my GPS that are unrelated to Geocaching (home, work, Geodashing, etc.). The process I use to update for caches:

• Have EasyGPS download all of the points in my GPS.
  • In EasyGPS, deleted out all of the caches (starting with GC)
  • Delete out the Geodashing points
  • I'm then left with a file of the "rest" of the waypoints I've manually enetered. I save that file.
  • Then I delete ALL of the waypoints off of the GPS.
  • Upload the non-cache file
  • Upload current Geodashing points
  • Finally, take a *.loc file that I get from a Pocket Query that lists all of the caches within 60 miles of my house that I haven't found or placed.
Whole process takes about 3-4 minutes. When I'm done, I have a current list of caches in my GPS, plus everything else I would need for a day of GPS fun.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

On the subjest of paper cache pages v. PDA usage. Be Careful.

I use my Palm to keep my life organized, but I do not carry it on trail. It is just too fragile. Your GPS V will take an unbelievable amount of abuse. However, the first time you stumble and your PDA hits a rock, its done.

I'll stick with paper.

I’ve never been able to get easy gps to work on my computer.

One tip for you. Create a file folder on your computer and label it “Waypoint Master List”. As you create waypoints in your V, periodically download the entire waypoint list to that folder, overwriting each time. If you create waypoints in Mapsores, download them to the V and then load them back to the master list. When you click to load from the V to your computer, the waypoints will stay in the V, in other words, they will be copied, not cut. That way if you need to do a master reset of the V, you can just load the entire waypoint list back in. You may want to do a master reset from time to time to clear out your recent places list.

I also just print out the page and carry it along.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/