Uploading pics - under 100KB?

Cache Poor

I am having trouble downsizing my pics to under 100KBs, which is what is required to upload them for the virtual caches. I've been using a 35mm camera, scanning them in, then have to crop them so incredibly that much of the original pic is missing. I also use Adobe Photo Deluxe and save them as the absolute lowest quality in order to reach the goal of <100 KB. BTW, I do not yet own a digital camera and so do not know if that helps lower the size of a pic. Anyone have a better solution?

Ya, almost seems like it's got to be the format. I have tons of full color pics I've created for desktop pics and such that are 640 X 480 JPGs. Out of the first 100 of those, 85 are below 100K and the largest is 148K. Maybe someone else has Adobe and can help with any settings you may be missing.

I have gone to look for myself. If I should return before I come back, tell me to wait here until I return.

I'm not sure what features are the same between the two. However I have a drop down menu under "image". A feature called "image size" is for resizing. I can choose between percentage or pixel size.

Cropping is only to trim out unessisary back ground and to recenter your image.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Also, I've found that you can open a fairly large JPG file in MS Paint (that stinky little program that comes with Windows). From there you can do a "stretch/skew" (Image, Stretch/Skew or Ctrl-W) and resize the image to 75% or 50% of its original size.

When the image is resaved as a JPG it uses a higher than normal compression (photo quality goes down a bit), but it will most likely be saved as less than 100K. If not, resize it down some more.

It doesn't leave the photos crystal clear, but it gets the job done for getting them below 100K without having to buy additional software.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I use mogrify, part of ImageMagick...

mogrify -geometry 576x432 DSC01234.JPG

...its actually called from a script which resizes all of my photos, creates thumbnails, and dumps them into my daily photojournal on my website.. but I'm lazy icon_wink.gif

I guess this isn't really helpful. Maybe I should have some coffee icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

I use mogrify, part of ImageMagick...

mogrify -geometry 576x432 DSC01234.JPG

...its actually called from a script which resizes all of my photos, creates thumbnails, and dumps them into my daily photojournal on my website.. but I'm lazy icon_wink.gif

I guess this isn't really helpful. Maybe I should have some coffee icon_biggrin.gif

snazzsig.jpg

The key is to resize your image for screen display. If you are going to print a photo, by all means scan at 300 dpi. However, on the web it will be displayed at 72 dpi not matter what you do, so if you post a photo thats 2000 pixels wide, it will be several screens wide. You should resize to 640x480 pixels or smaller (personally, I make all of my photos 500 pixels wide). For displaying in cache logs, geocaching.com resizes all photos to 300 pixels wide. If you post a photo smaller than that, it will be UPSAMPLED

If you have Photoshop (I use photoshop 6.0 so it may be different on earliar versions) there's a function in the menus called "Save for Web".

When you pull it up there's an option called "Output to size". This nifty feature allows you to enter file size you want it outputted to. (I have mine set to the default of 98k) So far this has been the quickest way I've found to consistently get good results.

Also, you may search versiontracker.com and other download sites for various shareware utilities designed to do the same thing as a stand alone app. I don't recall the name(s) but before I learned how to do it photoshop I used a few. (I think one was called pixel pipe or something similar.) Some allow you to convert pictures in batches so you can convert an entire photo of digitial photos/scans with the click of a button).

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com