Help With Loc/gpx Conversion

Maliberry

I have spent a couple hours with this, and could use some help. I'm a premium member and understand that I should be able to use gpx format so I can have geo-specific info. on my Palm.

I can't get it to download the waypoints in gpx format, and it automatically selects LOC when I do a query, even though I have selected GPX. When I try to download a single waypoint, it defaults to LOC and doesn't give me a choice. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way or not. I use easygps for downloading waypoints to my gps, and I feel like easygps could be part of the problem, according to FAQ.

How do I download waypoints to send to my gps using a different program than easygps? Does this even matter? I've downloaded cachemate and this gpx spinner and a watcher utility, and I thought I better ask someone for guidance before I screw everything up.

I just got the Palm, and I learn by trial and error. All of this is completely foreign to me, but I managed to hot sync the LOC cache file into the Palm, so that's not a problem....I just need to know how to download a waypoint in GPX format??? I'm clueless. Why won't it do this even though I've selected that format in my query?

Surely there is an easy solution and I'm just missing a step.

Although you've used the word "query" several times, I've gotten the impression that you're not actually using the pocket queries. It sounds to me (and I could be wrong) that you are trying to download the caches from the "search" pages. You can only get .loc files from the search pages. .GPX files are only (in general) available with pocket queries, accessed from your "My Geocaching" page.

Go to your "My" page and click on the Pocket Query link. From there, you can set up a pocket query for however you'd like... Your search options are great. You can exclude micros, or virtuals, or you can search for only caches placed during the last month, and many more.

The .gpx files are then emailed to you. You can't (in general) download .gpx files from the website.

The other problem I see is using EasyGPS. EasyGPS will read .gpx files, but will not display (nor export) the cache page information you seek.

To export the .gpx cache page data to your palm, you have a number of options. You said you have Cachemate and Spinner. I believe those will do the job, although I've not used them. GSAK will work with Cachemate, too.

Be sure that you are getting .gpx files, then try this helpful page to get the data to your palm.

Jamie

Although you've used the word "query" several times, I've gotten the impression that you're not actually using the pocket queries. It sounds to me (and I could be wrong) that you are trying to download the caches from the "search" pages. You can only get .loc files from the search pages. .GPX files are only (in general) available with pocket queries, accessed from your "My Geocaching" page.

I'm doing pocket queries from my cache page. I'm selecting gpx instead of loc. That was why I had the question. I'll go back and look to see if I'm missing a step somewhere. Hopefully, it's something easy.

Renegade....Didn't realize I could download directly from the cache page. I think this might be the easiest way for me to do this. Thanks.

Didn't realize I could download directly from the cache page. I think this might be the easiest way for me to do this.

It's only the easiest is you can't figure out the other way. :(

Are you using GSAK? If not, you should check out this cool program. It is really good for filtering the data and then converting it to various formats, like sending the waypoints to your GPS and sending a cachemate file to your palm. There are some amazing things you can do with it if you are willing to spend some time learning how to use it.

--Marky