Hunting Season

Geoman007

I would life to put a word of caution out to all geocachers in regards to finding my caches hidden in Baldpate Mountain in Mercer County. Hunting has officially STARTED on the mountain. I received a letter in the mail with all the dates and information about the season. There is to be NO TRESSPASSING on the mountain while hunting is in progress. WARNING: Citations and fines will be issued. I will try to put that calendar in this thread regarding hunting on baldpate mountain and what dates you are and are not allowed in the park.

That's Jersey for you. Mercer County is in the 609 area code, so you know that all bets are off.

Seriously, I find it odd that the land is off limits to everyone but hunters. However, since hunting is not permitted on Sundays, I wonder if these rules apply on Sunday. Then again, this is the state that puts No Trespassing Signs up at the entrances of their parks.

See Joelsd's Log

or maybe you remember this thread

Just curious...Is this normally public land except during hunting seasons? If so, it seems odd that taxpayers fund the property and can be excluded during certain portions of the year?

Maybe I am missing something>

Salvelinus

Its a county park. Several counties close their parks on certain dates for hunting. In most cases these parks are somewhat small (under 1,000 acres) and they do so for safety reasons. Most of these parks ordnarily do not allow hunting and many of these closures are one time deals, or may continue for a couple of years until the deer herd has been brought down to healthy levels.