My 76c Really Got Me Out Of A Jam Today

TheHFamily

Just a quick story and a question:

I was using my 76c driving through Atlanta to go from the airport (south of the city) to my home (north of the city) on I-75. I suddenly was stuck in really bad traffic that had signs of road construction with three lanes closed 3 miles ahead. I went to my gps and told it to "avoid highways". New directions popped up getting me off at the next exit and hitting several backroads to get home. It easily saved me an hour of sitting on the interstate. I smiled like a proud papa.

My questions: Is there an option to say avoid current road -- if that had not been an interstate it might have been difficult to tell it to avoid. I guess the answer might be to simply drive down another street and let it recalculate? I am just fearful that it would simply keep putting me back on the road I wish to avoid.

Also, is there an easier way to tell it to avoid highway just for this route calculation instead of a system menu (global) option?

Thanks,

TheHFamily

Specific road avoidances are not available on the 60C(S) 76C(S) units. My Quest does however have configurable avoidances. This includes specific road/highway avoidances along with area avoidances (draw a rectangle around the area you wish to avoid and you wont get routed through that area). The avoidances are also configurable to never expire or expire on a certain date. It's my belief that the memory used on the 60/76 series units for say, the geocache mode, calendar, hunt/fish, games and other utilities is used for other options (like avoidances and other options) on the Quest. I doubt that Garmin would include all the options available on the 60/76 series on the Quest and vise-versa. :huh:

Also, is there an easier way to tell it to avoid highway just for this route calculation instead of a system menu (global) option?

Good question! The only possible thing you could try while on the fly is choose "shortest" route instead of "fastest". If in fact there is a shorter route via secondary roads then the GPSr should ignore the Interstate.

You could also force it to route you via an intermediate waypoint but that would require pulling off the road to key-in and also you would need a general idea of where to place that via point.

Cheers, Olar