Pocket Quiries

archeangelsk2002

hello friends and neighbors

tis me the old bald headed archie

i have purchased a palm pilot product called Palm IIIxe PDA with 8mb RAM.

It works on windows operating system and its own software version is 4.01 or 5.

The question I have is which of the pocket quiries downloads would be best suited for this type of palm pilot PDA.

Also do the pocket quiries duplicate the cache page on the pda and if so, how many cache pages could be downloaded to the PDA

any pertinent info would be appreciated

regards

archie

You will need a program on your Palm to read the Pocket Queries, you have a choice, but the most popular is Cachemate. With this you use a desktop program to convert your Pocket Queries file (.gpx) to be read on the Palm.

Cachemate

Cachemate comes with its own desktop converter but you can also use GSAK which is an excellent program.

GSAK

There are a couple of alternatives to Cachemate, which are both web browsers for the Palm - Plucker or iSilo. Again you need to use a program to convert the .gpx file and again GSAK will do this.

This is how I do it but there will be other ways.

Martin :P

Also do the pocket quiries duplicate the cache page on the pda and if so, how many cache pages could be downloaded to the PDA

Maybe im mistaken but I think that would actually run palm OS, not windows.

More or less, yes. They'll give you all the same info. To me spinner/plucker (see Cybret's link) looks a lot like the online pages. You can pick to show images or not, and link deepth. I really like using the 'nearest caches' link. That way once I find one cache in a target cluster I can use that link to find them all quickly.

I've had about 1000 cache pages in my IIIxe and it was only a little over half full. Your going to run of gas in you car before you run down all those caches!

oh, and a tip. If your palm has its batteries unpowered for like over like 5 minutes it will lose its memory. So if your going on a trip or whatever, keep batteries handy so you can change them if needed (or just change them before you leave).

I will agree with using GSAK and CacheMate. In your case, it would be a benefit because you do not want the graphics. besides not have any real useful purpose beyond aesthetics, they are PDA memory hogs. With 8 MB, especially if you use it for something else or want to maintain any sizable database of caches, you want to save your space.

Using these two also could not be simpler.

If you are a premium member;

1. Have GPX file emailed to you by GC.

2. Import GPX (or multiples) into GSAK

3. Export caches to a PRC file (The file the PDA and Cachemate will read.

4. Open Cachemate and start using.

GSAK will work as your main database on your PC, you can export as few or as many caches as you like and can also use it to load your GPS, Mapsource and many other programs.

Cachemate is your field tool, giving you the descriptions as well as a running log (if you choose) of your find.

I started with exactly your model and, admittedly, i now use a different PDA so my GSAK DB is duplicated in Cachemate (4000+ Caches) and to date have had only one problem that was easily fixed and was a hardware related issue. Support for both programs is great!

Been there, done that for what you are doing. Tried most if not all the programs and this, by far, works out with the least amount of effort. There is much more GSAK can do, these are only the basics.

Edited by baloo&bd

I just got the same palm model two weeks ago.... so far so perfect. I am using GSAK and cachemate and I am totally satisfied with the results. I have the feeleing that I haven't even begun to tap the potential of GSAK.

Unrelated, but I found a very rugged case ($8) for the device here - Directron - Bumper Case

It seems like it was designed with geocaching in mind. the product engineers must have had an oracle handy.

AND the same place has a hard to beat deal ($3) on the screen overlays - Driectron - Belkin Palm III overlays

I am very happy with what I got. The package has 12 overlays as well as a screen cleaning cloth and a card for applying the overlays without bubbles.