Detailed Topos For Etrek Legend?

Maisie

I have an eTrex Legend and want to upload topo maps for hiking.

I understand I can buy Garmin's own topo maps but they are 1:100k, and I'd like something more detailed.

The National Geographic state topo CDs are 1:24k, but can I upload them to my Legend?

Do I need special software to do it?

(I use a Mac, but have access to PCs if necessary.)

I'd appreciate any advice.

No, you can't. For better or worse, you're stuck with Garmin maps. Garmin does make two sets of 24K maps, but they're rather limited in scope:

National Parks East and National Parks West

Both products list for $117 and I'm sure will sell for less through other outlets.

You can upload routes and waypoints to your Legend from other non-Garmin mapping products; but if you want to load detailed maps, you can only use Garmin products.

Magellan also has the same restrictions on their units. Magellan GPSr's will only load Magellan maps.

There's big bucks to be made in this software and these hardware manufacturers aren't going to pass up the opportunity to limit your choices and expand their profits. :anibad:

I have National Geographic TOPO for printing maps on 11x17 inch paper, and I have Magellan TOPO loaded on a SporTrak Color GPS. Good combo to have the paper map and TOPO loaded on a SporTrak Color GPS. The GPS mentioned is the best one out there for displaying TOPO maps at 160x240 resolution, but the paper maps are also needed.

faq12-3.jpgfaq12-4.jpgfaq12-1.jpgfaq12-2.jpg

Edited by GOT GPS?
I have an eTrex Legend and want to upload topo maps for hiking.

I understand I can buy Garmin's own topo maps but they are 1:100k, and I'd like something more detailed.

The National Geographic state topo CDs are 1:24k, but can I upload them to my Legend?

Do I need special software to do it?

(I use a Mac, but have access to PCs if necessary.)

I'd appreciate any advice.

TubeMonkey is correct in assessing you mapping needs. Only Garmin maps can be loaded into your Legend.

Other products will only allow you to manage waypoints, routes and tracks, but you would not be able to upload any map data to your Legend with them.

If you buy the Garmin maps, the special software required to upload the map data (MapSource) comes with and installs with the map data.

MapSource is only compatable with PCs.

Edited by Neo_Geo
There's big bucks to be made in this software and these hardware manufacturers aren't going to pass up the opportunity to limit your choices and expand their profits. :lol:

Actually, at least as far as Canada is concerned, the Garmin maps are the best deal going. I get 1:50,000 coverage for the whole of Canada for about $150. This is vector-based data, that actually holds information, and not scanned paper maps.

By comparison, for me to purchase the complete topographic data set for just the Yukon would cost me about $10,000.

So, I'm not too put out by the price of the Garmin product. :lol:

Regards,

Anthony