Garmin Gps 38

Husker

My ancestors bought this unit when they jumped off the immigrant train in Champagne, Il. They used it to locate their homestead in Nebraska in 1870's.

So far I've had good luck finding the few caches I've gone after. I'm 4-5. The one I didn't find wasn't because of the unit, just bad trail choice.

How can I upload coordinates fast and easy? It's pretty slow to do it manually.

Thanks for the insite.

Cheers,

Jason

That's so old, it doesn't come up in a normal search on Garmin's Web site! I thought maybe you were mistaken about the model number. Then I did a search on the Internet and found some up for auction on eBay.

I then went back to Garmin's site and I had to search "Outdoor" then "Discontinued" and then found the model 38.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE GARMIN GPS 38 MANUAL

Anyway, you'll need a serial data cable to transfer data from the computer to the GPSr. You can get one from GPSGeek.com. You'll need the 2nd one up from the bottom labeled "GPS 3+ V 60C 76 StreetPilot 12, 38, and 40 PC Interface Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10141)"

If you want a combo cable which has the data cable and also a cigarette lighter power adaptor, you could get the 2nd from the BOTTOM labeled "Cigarette Lighter Power/ PC Combo Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10164-00) "Compatible Garmin GPS Models GPS 12, 38, and 40""

After you get a cable, you can use a number of free applications downloadable from the Internet to send the coordinates to the GPSr. I hear that GPSBabel with Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) is a good combination. You could also use EasyGPS as well.

(edited to reflect proper combo cable information)

Edited by Neo_Geo
Anyway, you'll need a serial data cable to transfer data from the computer to the GPSr. You can get one from GPSGeek.com. You'll need the 5th one down from the top labeled "GPS 3+ V 60C 76 StreetPilot 12, 38, and 40 PC Interface Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10141)"

If you want a combo cable which has the data cable and also a cigarette lighter power adaptor, you could get the 8th one down labeled "GPS 3+ V 60CS 76 StreetPilot 12v Power / PC Combo Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10165-00)"

The information on the PC interface cable is correct, but not about the combination PC/power cable. The 38 model did not include a voltage regulator internally to allow it to be powered directly by a 12 VDC source. Therefore the power cable and combo PC/power cables for this model included a voltage regulator to take 12 VDC and convert it to about 7.5 VDC which is what was needed by the 38 (also the later GPS12 model). To prevent inadvertent use of the wrong cable, a plastic pin is molded into the center of the connection jack of these units and the corresponding power cable plugs have a center hole so they can be inserted. I believe all the PC interface (w/o power) plugs were made with the center hole so they'll work in either type of unit.

Note to Jason,

Some software may not list the 38 as a supported type of GPS unit but in many cases it will work if you say it's a GPS 45 instead since they are very similar in terms of the PC communications. And don't try using it at speeds of over 99 knots - this unit is one of the ones that had Garmin's old artificial speed limit to prevent usage by private pilots tyring to save some money compared to Garmin's aviation units.

You can also get cables from Pfranc, or you can just buy the connectors if you want to make your own cable. I have enough old serial cables lying around from dead mice, etc that I just buy connectors and make my own cables, including one which powers my GPS and Palm from a USB charger that plugs into my cigarette lighter. These are readily available, cheap, and provide 3.5V which many devices can use. If the GPS 38 needs 7.5V and you want to power it with the cable, then you need a different cable, and you may want to buy one already made up. The Pfranc data/charge cable is here.

Anyway, you'll need a serial data cable to transfer data from the computer to the GPSr.  You can get one from GPSGeek.com.  You'll need the 5th one down from the top labeled "GPS 3+ V 60C 76 StreetPilot 12, 38, and 40 PC Interface Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10141)"

If you want a combo cable which has the data cable and also a cigarette lighter power adaptor, you could get the 8th one down labeled "GPS 3+ V 60CS 76 StreetPilot 12v Power / PC Combo Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10165-00)"

The information on the PC interface cable is correct, but not about the combination PC/power cable. The 38 model did not include a voltage regulator internally to allow it to be powered directly by a 12 VDC source. Therefore the power cable and combo PC/power cables for this model included a voltage regulator to take 12 VDC and convert it to about 7.5 VDC which is what was needed by the 38 (also the later GPS12 model). To prevent inadvertent use of the wrong cable, a plastic pin is molded into the center of the connection jack of these units and the corresponding power cable plugs have a center hole so they can be inserted. I believe all the PC interface (w/o power) plugs were made with the center hole so they'll work in either type of unit.

My BAD! Thanks for pointing that out, Peter. <_<

They have an 8-Volt combo cable - 2nd from the BOTTOM of THE PAGE. They specifically list it as being for the 38.

Cigarette Lighter Power/ PC Combo Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10164-00) "Compatible Garmin GPS Models GPS 12, 38, and 40"

I have edited my original post above to reflect the proper combo cable information.

Edited by Neo_Geo

WOW!!

I really appreciate the help, you folks are great! I hadn't used my GPS much in the last few years but geocaching certainly has revived my interest.

I had a cig lighter adapter at one time, I'm still on the search for that. If I just knew the coordinates...

I'm going to get a data cable for sure and check into the mentioned software. Anything that makes it easier certainly makes it more fun and interesting.

As for the 99 knots, I seldom walk that fast... I have noticed this on a couple commercial flights I've used it on. I would get 5 or 6 maxed out power bars (it can only track 8) but no location. That explains it. Since I use it while driving, biking, and hiking, the speed thing hasn't been a problem. Now I want to go out and see if I can get up to 99 knots in my pickup and not get a ticket!

Thanks again,

Jason

I have a Garmin 38 too. The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History has been after it for their collection, but so far I've resisted and managed to find almost 450 caches with it. :lol:

Last week I left it on the roof of my car, a fact I only became aware of after reaching 60 mph. I heard a loud thump and watched in my rearview mirror as it bounced along behind me. When I went back to retrieve the carcass I was amazed to discover it still worked, despite no longer having a front plastic screen cover. It's guided me to several more caches since. They made them tough back in the old days....