Tracks

frefel

I spent the better part of the day learning how to save tracks to my eTrex. Ok, now I have the data somewhere inside the unit; how do I extract it and get it into a useful form? The Garmin manual and the search function of Groundspeak just didn't provide the answers.

Thanks in advance.

Download and install GPSBabel (http://www.gpsbabel.org) and run the following command:

gpsbabel -t -i garmin -o gpx /dev/ttyS0 mytracks.gpx

Replace /dev/ttyS0 with the name of the serial port your eTrex is connected to (on GNU/Linux this looks like /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1, on Windows it will be COM1 or COM2).

This will give you a GPX file called mytracks.gpx with all the tracks that you have saved on your device, and the current track (called ACTIVE LOG). This file can be loaded in any program that supports GPX files.

Edited by larsl

Are you talkin' about the YELLOW eTrex? The one that doesn't come with a cable...?

If "yeah", then first you're gonna need a cable.

You can get one from GPSGeek.com. The one at the top of the page [eTrex eMap Geko PC Interface Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10206-00)] is the one you need.

If you want a combination PC data/cigarette lighter power adaptor, you can go with the third one down from the top [eTrex eMap Geko Power / PC Combo Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10268-00)].

Once you've got a cable, then you can upload your tracks into the programs the other guys were talkin' about.

You might also want to check out USAPhotoMaps. It's pretty cool.