Downloading Waypoints ...again.

The Good Raymondo

I am trying to download 100 waypoints from GSAK Babel Version 1.2.4. to a Garmin Venture GPS via the com ports. No matter what com port I select the dialogue box says 'Cannot init com port'

In GSAK 'Set up' I select 'Garmin' and I have selected all the com ports in turn but I still get the same reply.

I use other hardware through these com ports with no difficulty.

I get the feeling that I am missing some important step. I have the GPS switched on of course but am I supposed to be on some particular GPS setting?

OS - WinXP.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

What else do you have connected to the PC? A PDA hotsync program can take over the serial ports and not allow anything else to access them. If you have a PDA, make sure serial sync is disabled, or perhaps even exit the hotsync manager. Disabling the serial hotsync should do it, but it may not depending on the PDA.

Many thanks for all your suggestions but my son has now resolved the problem and it is similar to Nightpilot's idea. I pass on the solution in case anyone else has the same problem.

I was using both of my com ports, Com 1 for my Wacom Drawing Tablet and the Com 2 for my PDA cradle. As I previously stated my GPS Venture did not want to know about either of them.

When I removed the Wacom software (Control Panel/Add-remove programs) and then plugged into the Com 1 everything worked OK and my GPS connected to the PC. ......well I have no problems until I want to use my drawing tablet that is.

I think the long term answer is probably buying one of those connectors that allows you to plug into the USB ports.

Thanks again for your help and ideas..

GoodRaymondo.