Just ordered a Garmin Gps V Deluxe...what else do i need?

mightywarlock

hey there folks!

finally got around to buying the gps v deluxe...

i am new to gps and will need all the help i can get...

i am in the burbank/los angeles area, and am wondering what else i will need...such as, software...the gps comes with city select software i think...and i just wondered whether i now also have to buy the topo software, or if i did not need it...

someone let me know...

what are the opinions on this unit?

i have looked around slightly and noticed people mentioning they wanted one, and then there is the whole garmin vs. magellin issue...but what are the real opinions?

i wanted something i could use in the car, use on the trails while hiking and mountain biking as well...and was trying to decide between a vista and the v for a while, but decided on it due to it being better for the car...

ok...

thanks for your help!

if anyone is interested in getting together to show me how this whole geocaching thing works somewhere near burbank (verdugo's?)

please email me at mightywarlock@yahoo.com

thanks!

Rich

Hey Rich

I'm new here also. 3 days 6 caches so far icon_biggrin.gif I bought the Garmin V deluxe,my first GPS. I love it! It works great in the car and in the field. It has alot of great features. So far all I have is City Select (came with the deluxe package) its seems to be quite well done IMHO. The GPS holds signal real well and I'm pleased with my purchace.

You will need lots o' batteries! I'd suggest getting rechargeables of some type.

Since I'm new to this and its my first GPS I can't compare it to any other units and I won't get into the Garmin vs Magellan thing icon_wink.gif But for me its a fantastic GPS. icon_smile.gif

Hey Rich

I'm new here also. 3 days 6 caches so far icon_biggrin.gif I bought the Garmin V deluxe,my first GPS. I love it! It works great in the car and in the field. It has alot of great features. So far all I have is City Select (came with the deluxe package) its seems to be quite well done IMHO. The GPS holds signal real well and I'm pleased with my purchace.

You will need lots o' batteries! I'd suggest getting rechargeables of some type.

Since I'm new to this and its my first GPS I can't compare it to any other units and I won't get into the Garmin vs Magellan thing icon_wink.gif But for me its a fantastic GPS. icon_smile.gif

You have everything you need for the moment. Play with it, learn it and find a few caches with it! I have a Garmin V as well. It's one outstanding unit! I've used several Garmins over the last 4 years and the V is best to date ~ IMHO. (I haven't tried the Garmin 76 or 76S so they are not included in that last statement icon_biggrin.gif)

Have fun!

~Honest Value Never Fails~

You have everything you need for the moment. Play with it, learn it and find a few caches with it! I have a Garmin V as well. It's one outstanding unit! I've used several Garmins over the last 4 years and the V is best to date ~ IMHO. (I haven't tried the Garmin 76 or 76S so they are not included in that last statement icon_biggrin.gif)

Have fun!

~Honest Value Never Fails~

You will need the following sooner or later if you cache outside urban areas.

Mapsource Topo to upload Topos into your GPS.

USGS Topo to help plan routes for the rural geocaches. You can use other topo software if it's compatible with your Garmin V.

You should already be useing EasyGPS to upload waypoints into your GPS from geocaching.com.

Your GPS becomes a rather useful door stop if the batteries die, you break it, etc. Always have a compass handy.

Have fun! The GPS V is the ultimate GPS unit today (in my humble opinion).

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I am a rank beginner, but have found that when you get within 100 ft of a cache the compass is very helpful. For the caches I have found I have gotten within 50-100 ft. of the cache, taken the bearing from the GPS and transferred it to the compass. The compass has always pointed directly to the cache. I still have to look for the cache (could be high, low, under rocks, etc...), but once it is found I'm amazed that the compass was right! It's a pretty cool thing.

For use in your car, this antenna helps pull in the signals. It amplifies the sat. signals and can often have full strength across the board( I've had all twelve full bars). Also, I figured that if the signal got weak because of any interference, you could attach the antenna and pull in that weak signal. I have not done it myself, but a fellow geocacher did while hiding a cache. He could not get a good enough signal, so he got the antenna out of his car and was able to get a better fix. We were joking about attaching a metal plate to the top of a hat so you could put the antenna up there. Hmmmmmm... We shall see

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!".