Permissions On Wildlife Trust Land

Mad H@ter

We are considering placing a cache in an area owned by BBOWT (Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Wildlife Trust's) and was just wondering if anyone has already sought permission from BBOWT or a similar trust and if they can give advise on the best approach. As this such a nice location with a lot of popular history associated with it, it would be a shame if we were to mess up the permissions side of things.

Check our cache here for an example. The letter we sent is here. and the large document we sent with the letter is here titled an introduction to geocaching.

They will like CITO, but may not be keen on attracting more visitors :D so the figures in this thread may be usefull. nb the warden was very keen as he likes visitors to his wood. It was the trust management who were concerned about hundreds of visitors.

Edited by markandlynn

I have contact with a Yorkshire Wildlife Trust ranger who has approved one of my caches (Spurn Point) and considers Geocaching entirely complementary to his work. He has suggested to me two possible locations on his patch and wants to monitor them with a view to encouraging his Trust to accept Geocaching generally and then to encourage other wildlife trusts to do the same. His attitude towards us is entirely positive.

Bad news :laughing: , BBOWT have refused permission.

We are well aware of Geocache type projects and have had several approaches to use our reserves in this way. We feel our nature reserves, in addition to their primary role of helping to conserve wildlife, already play an adequate role in providing spaces for people to relax in.

In consequence we are not interested in allowing our sites to be used in the way you propose.

Yours sincerely

Nigel Phillips Head of Reserves

Very disappointing news this as they have some great locations around this area. Should this be added to the GAGB permissions database and if so how?

Phillimore Clan wrote:

Very disappointing news this as they have some great locations around this area. Should this be added to the GAGB permissions database and if so how?

I'm sorry to hear that you were refused. Yes, it should be added to the GAGB database - I'll do that. Thanks for letting us know, even though it's bad news.