Looking For Cache Recommendations

Sgt Stitches

Hi all you Texas cachers-

My wife and I are finishing a cruise in Galveston and will be driving to Houston to catch a plane home. I was hoping someone could recommend a few good caches that could help break up the drive and provide something nice to do. We probably have 5 hours to get from the dock to the airport (already taking into account the time to get off the boat and to get through security at the airport).

My wife is a bit of a "wimpy" cacher and does not like the "hot dusty trail", "back of the alley", "Deep in the jungle", or "surrounded by vicious mosquito and snake infested water" types of caches. I don't have anything against those kind of caches, but I'm trying to keep my wife happy here.. :unsure:

So... I'm looking for a few caches not far of the road between Galveston and Houston with a short walk in nice green parks, or places with a nice view, nice beaches, or river walks. Points of interest to someone who has never been to Galveston or Houston before would also be welcome....

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

-Lance

(aka Sgt Stitches)

As a lifelong resident of the area and a new cacher, here are a list of some in the area that might fit your specs.

High and dry by Neo76 (GCB7AF) There are a number of caches in this park.

Depending on when you come into town, the one below might be available. There's an air show this weekend and it might be temporarily disabled because of the odds of muggling.

THE WEIGHTLESS WONDER by PARKERPLUS (GCJTNT)

Zzz's by zzzwoot (GCKBZ0)

Fallen Heroes by Team C,L, & J (GCE3BD) A nice, NASA-related virtual

There are a number of camera caches on the island:

The Strand Cam Cache by The Simplers (GC6211)

Harbor Cam Cache by The Simplers (GC6212)

Surf Cam Cache by The Simplers (GC620D)

And a number of virtuals on the island as well:

Bishop's Palace by Teddielynn (GCH1CG)

Pirates Abode by Vetteman & Sharon (GCC6F7)

Fish In The Sea. by GeoVamp & Msdark (GCB0ED)

The Storm by wolfmann (GC42C6)

Enjoy!