Tb Rescue Mission, Please Help!!!!!!

B&K Whiting

Sorry this is gonna be a long one. On July 10th we placed a TB in a cache not far from our house, and put it on our watch list. On 10/1 it was retreived and we read the log notification and the person said their was 19 TB's in this cache!!! and only the one we placed was showing. This kind person took 5 others to help them on their way. We stopped by the cache on Friday (10/8) to see if we too could help and we took 7 with us. Well after numerous discussions over the next day and a half we knew we had to rescue the other 6, (their kinda like orphans) so we stopped and picked them up tonight on our way home.

The log book was dated from 9/28 from geobandits stating they took several TB's hostage from Maryland, NewJersey, and Pa. and they were dropping them in this cache. Initially we thought maybe they were new and didn't know the procedure for TB's. But we searched the name and their profile showed member since 9/17/01, status showed not validated member, and last visit was never. So now we think they knew what they were doing and used a made up name, as they didn't log their visit on the cache page.

We will contact all the owners, but what is the best way to "fix" them? Should they be logged out of the last known cache they were in and be logged in this cache we took them from? If so who should do it the owners or us? We're not stat seekers and we don't want credit for finding them in the last known cache and placing them into this one if we really didn't do it. But we will take credit for moving them from the "dump" cache into new ones. Any help/advice would be greatly appriciated.

Should they be logged out of the last known cache they were in and be logged in this cache we took them from? If so who should do it the owners or us? We're not stat seekers and we don't want credit for finding them in the last known cache and placing them into this one if we really didn't do it. But we will take credit for moving them from the "dump" cache into new ones. Any help/advice would be greatly appriciated.

Since the bugs really went from the one cache to this one, I say log them in and out. But really it doesn't really matter what you choose to do. Grab them, drop them, whatever.

Edited by Elf Danach

Thanx B&K. I was the one to find the overloaded cache but even tho I've been caching for a while I had no idea as to how to straighten up the missplaced TBs.

I'll never understand how someone could move a TB without taking the few moments to log it in.

If I can be any help please let me know. I have a list of TB names and numbers I made when I first found the cache.

wvhunter, did you get yours straightened out yet? Here's what we did, we punched in the tracking # located the last entered cache, and retreived it from that cache. Then we placed them into Norwich cache. And finally we retreived them out of norwich cache. We did it this way figuring that the miles would be correct and the history would be accurate, with the exception that we "really" didn't retreive them from the last known cache. Not sure if we should have done it another way or not, but we just wanted to get the little "orphans" fixed and moving again. And thanks to you for initiating the rescue!! Also did you see the post and link that the owner of norwich left? if not it's worth a look.

Got the 4 MIA's I picked up back on their way (and dropped off the one that was SUPPOSED to be there) but I screwed up like a first time cacher. Got in a hurry to get all my logs from my vacation in the area done and in my hurry I forgot to log them into Norwich first before logging them into their new caches.

I can only beg the forgivness of the GeoCaching Gods and the TB owners.

I'm just glad all the missing TBs are back in circulation.

And yes I saw the Norwich logs. My brother and I got a kick out of them.

Thanx for all your help.