Cheap And Clever Gadget

user13371

In some cars the simplest place to put a GPS is in the cupholder - at least if you can get good reception and the cupholder is where you can still get a good look at the screen.

Apparently, the folks at Griffin had a similar idea:

http://griffintechnology.com/products/podpod/

for where to stash your music player. I think this is a great idea, adaptable to a number of in car devices.

Edited by lee_rimar

this looks like it is made out of foam - looks easy to replicate -

but it is not a new idea -

I bought a cup-holder mounting for my Ipaq years ago -

had a fixture the slid into the cup holder - adjustable stem (hinge at bottom and top)

'table' on top with adjustable padded sides to hold a pda. worked great.

I did some caching with a friend in his little pickup the other day. I had my bag on the seat between us. I have a belt pack with a bottle pocket where I keep the gps. Was upside down in the middle of the cab on the seat and was amazed that when I picked it up after about 10 minutes driving between caches that I had 7 sats. on the screen. I had forgotten to turn it off. So I would suggest that even the cup holders that are in the center console might be usable.

I am going to steal this idea and see if I can make a suitable one for my dash board area close to the windshield.

thanks -

I am going to steal this idea and see if I can make a suitable one for my dash board area close to the windshield

Usually when I try to make a knock-off of some simple thing like this, I end up spending more than the pre-made item would have cost. Or, I end up with something ugly that doesn't work. Maybe I'm just clumsy that way.

For something that's only $10, I'd rather just go out an buy it instead of trying to replicate it.

Edited by lee_rimar
I am going to steal this idea and see if I can make a suitable one for my dash board area close to the windshield

Usually when I try to make a knock-off of some simple thing like this, I end up spending more than the pre-made item would have cost. Or, I end up with something ugly that doesn't work. Maybe I'm just clumsy that way.

For something that's only $10, I'd rather just go out an buy it instead of trying to replicate it.

OH YA! been there - done that -

but I have a ton (?) of different kinds of foam at home and might try it -

if it was for my cup holder I might just buy it - like I said I want this for my dash shelf.-