waypoint management on a mac...

ricnic

I'm new to all this so go slow. icon_biggrin.gif

I've already downloaded a .loc file to my desktop.

I'm using GPSConnect to transfer data. Dont have a serial/USB cable yet, so I'm just practicing.

Either trying "open" or "import waypoints" within GPSConnect, it doesnt see the .loc file. Is there something I need to do to the file? Am I downloading the right file?

I'm confused????

You are correct - GPSConnect cannot open .loc files. What you need is a .gpx file. There are two ways to get a .gpx file, the easiest is to sign up with Groundspeak as a premium member and use the pocket queries. Alternatively, if you are savvy with the terminal you can download GPSbabel which will convert .loc files into .gpx files. I wrote myself an applescript droplet to access GPSbabel so that I can convert .loc into .gpx by just dropping the .loc file onto the droplet icon.

Jeremy

I'm new to this also, and am using a Mac 12" powerbook and an eTrex Vista. But how to download the data from the screen to my eTrex? Couple questions:

Is MacGPS Pro a good program? Is another one better?

Will any serial-to-USB adapter work (a little one came with my Epson printer) or do we need to buy the $50 one?

Thanks. - Schopenhauer

For ease of use, IMO, MacGPS Pro is about the only game in town. (Before I get blasted, I said ease of use = overall, which includes importing .loc files, uploading/downloading/backing up waypoints,working under 10.2.6, etc)

You can import these (.loc) files without converting them.

Yes, I do believe the convertor you have that came with your printer would work, providing you have a driver for it...

Check my scandalous stories, site, and my fishing skills

As long as you have OSX drivers for the USB-serial adapter, it should work. I have a Keyspan PDA adapter that works fine in OSX, but is not compatabile with Virtual PC 3 and Windows 98 under OS9. Found some advice on this board that the IOGear USB-Serial converter works better with Virtual PC so I invested $30 and found this to be true.

quote:
Originally posted by hcameron:

I am having a real challenge with waypoints and uploading them from the Geocache page into my Magellan Platinum. Does anyone know of a step-by-step, press this, do that tutorial specific to Magellan and say EasyGPS software? I am feeling real stupid at this moment.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think www.gpsy.com is the only Mac software that will 'talk' to a Magellan. You could try poking around www.versiontracker.com (search for gps) to see if anything else might work.

Check my scandalous stories, site, and my fishing skills

quote:
Originally posted by JeremyA:

You are correct - GPSConnect cannot open .loc files. What you need is a .gpx file. There are two ways to get a .gpx file, the easiest is to sign up with Groundspeak as a premium member and use the pocket queries. Alternatively, if you are savvy with the terminal you can download GPSbabel which will convert .loc files into .gpx files. I wrote myself an applescript droplet to access GPSbabel so that I can convert .loc into .gpx by just dropping the .loc file onto the droplet icon.

Jeremy

So, my Garmin can only read .gpx files? Why then the option to download .loc files? Is it just that the mac software can only read .gpx? Or do all GPSr's read .gpx only?

Thanks for the info!

quote:
Originally posted by ricnic:

Thanks!

Downloading it now. Look like it's just what I'm looking for. This will only read .gpx, right?

ACK! Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, but it will read both GPX and LOC files. You've probably figured that out by now. OH and make sure you set the LAT/LON properties correctly in preferences/general.

~robert

www.CacheGear.com

mdgpsbanner.gif

robertlipe:

A Mac OS X GUI front-end for GPSBabel is something I have been looking into. It is actually very simple to do, I just have a couple of things to work out before I am ready to start work on it.

If you already have GPSBabel installed then I have some droplets for automating various conversions (e.g. LOC to GPX).

Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

GPSBabel runs on OS/X and will talk directly to Garmins and Magellans on usb/serial converters.

I'm not a "Mac Person" so if JeremyA or other Mac users would like to contribute tools like the "applescript droplet" or binary kits to make it easier for Mac users, please contact me.