Cemetary Cache Question

nfa

Too late for this month then huh?

Cemetaries creep me out - even in the daytime- Is ir considered tresspassing to be on the cemetary grounds after closing? I know of at least 2 local ones that have the hours posted at all entrances, with a note that anyone on the grounds after close is "considered to be trespassing, and will be dealth with accordingly"

Neat idea, but would have no appeal to me (creppy!) :D

In Mississippi, it is illegal to be in any cemetary between sunset and sunrise (at least, only illegal for the living). Which is a pity, there is one near me that is quite near my place that is reputed to be haunted by a woman whose husband to be was killed in a duel on the night before her wedding.....

I would probably leave off the full moon part, although I think a neat idea few would probably follow that. Or if you want only place the cache as available during a full moon. However before asking that they visit at night, I'd get in touch with some local officials or caretakers of the cemetary and ask, just to be on the safe side. Here there are hours posted on only one of the cemetaries, the city run cemetary. However I have been in the cemetary at night, going just before sunset once to show my mother a stone, and left after the posted closing sign, and during that time I saw a lot of people coming in and leaving the cemetary. I am not sure if it is illegal or not, but be on the safe side and ask. :-)

I can't help it, I gotta do this. There is no a in cemetery.

Main Entry: cem·e·tery

Pronunciation: 'se-m&-"ter-E

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -ter·ies

Etymology: Middle English cimitery, from Middle French cimitere, from Late Latin coemeterium, from Greek koimEtErion sleeping chamber, burial place, from koiman to put to sleep; akin to Greek keisthai to lie, Sanskrit sete he lies

: a burial ground

I like cemetery caches. But not near anyone's tombstone, and not restricted to night caching. Most cemeteries do not want people going there at night.. Especially when sick people do stuff like this

(If that link goes dead, vandals damaged a local cemetery in a nearby town this week, doing vandalism to 90 tombstones, destroying some of the town history)

Edited by Planet
Hi,

I'm thinking of placing a cache in/by a local cemetary, and have thought about restricting finds to visits logged during nights with a full moon.  :ph34r:

What do you think?

nfa

:) Personally, I think that it would be disrespectful to place it within the cemetary grounds. But I think that just beyond the stone wall, or whatever, would be open game.

You would be really limiting the number of cachers that would seek your cache. And then there would be the ones that just download coords and never read the cache pages, they would log finds and ignore your requirements, or ask for forbearence... I have several caches that have additional requirements on them in order to log a find, and it got to be a real hassle. At first, I was a hardcase and demanded compliance, but all the whining made me feel guilty, so now I just let it be...