Combining Waypoints

spog

I have just downloaded a set of waypoints from the site. I also have a set of waypoints on my Garmin III+.

I want to combine both sets into a single set. I seem to be able to do this using the GPS, but is there any way I can do this using just software on my PC?

I have geobuddy, easygps & mapsource, but it seems that merging is not possible. I can get one set open or another, but not both merged.

Help.

Spog

quote:
Originally posted by spog:

I have just downloaded a set of waypoints from the site. I also have a set of waypoints on my Garmin III+.

It seems you have one set of points on the gps and the other one on (I assume) EasyGPS. Download the contents of EasyGPS into the gps, ontop of the other ones and presto the unique waypoints will combine.

You have to use the gps as a storage host many times. So then dump the entire contents back into EasyGPS and edit them as you like. There is your single set.

I want to combine both sets into a single set. I seem to be able to do this using the GPS, but is there any way I can do this using just software on my PC?

I have geobuddy, easygps & mapsource, but it seems that merging is not possible. I can get one set open or another, but not both merged.

Help.

Spog

quote:

Help.

Spog

You can do this in EasyGPS, although it is not obvious. If you open multiple files in EasyGPS, you can "Tile" the Windows and then drag and drop waypoints from one to the other.

Download one set from your GPSr to easyGps, and save that file. Then open up another (new) file and download into that from the other GPS. Then just open the first file (so both are open) and select all the way points from one file and copy and paste into the other file.

Hope that helps.

Gloom

Excellent! Thanks a lot!

I'd figured out how to do it with the GPS, but I wanted to cut that out of the loop.

Now that I know that EasyGPS will let you do it, it all seems easy enough. But until you'd convinced me, I would have sworn that it didn't allow cutting & pasting as it's not impletmented very well.

Thanks a lot.

Spog

GeoBuddy 1.0.20 (the latest), has the option under the File menu. Get the latest version at

http://www.geobuddy.com.

GeoBuddy is a pseudo-waypoint manager, but it's not on par with things like EasyGPS or MapSource. It's purpose is to massage data formats from one to another. So, your steps would be...

Collect waypoints from your GPS using EasyGPS and save them to a file.

Collect waypoints from geocaching.com and save them to as many files as you need.

Drop all the files onto the GeoBuddy icon. You will see a bunch of windows show up.

Select "File->Merge". A new window will pop up with all the waypoints in it.

Save the new file in whatever format you want--.loc for EasyGPS or .wpt for MapSource.

Go outside, enjoy yourself, spread the joy.

Hey Rodness, what do I have to do to get one of your hemp necklaces down this away?

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:

Hey! I've just downloaded the latest version. Pretty good little program! Now when will it be able to read mapsource waypoint files?

GeoBuddy will likely never read .mps files directly because Garmin isn't interested in sharing that information with third parties. I understand their reluctance, to a degree, so all GeoBuddy supports now is writing a .wpt file.

GeoBuddy 2.0 will support reading and writing of a lot of formats.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Kernbob:

quote:
Originally posted by nodrog:

.... in EasyGPS, you can "Tile" the Windows and then drag and drop waypoints from one to the other.

Thanks, I learned something new this morning.

Kernbob

Mapsource does something similarly. You can open any number of Mapsource files (existing and new)and cut and paste waypoints, tracks, maps and routes among them. What's really neat if you had copied Topo and Roads and Recreation onto you hard drive, is you can split screen the monitor and display a topo map on top and streets map on the bottom at the same time as you create routes and waypoints for example. Then cut and paste into one or the other, and you tansfer the whole thing to the GPS and save the file.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Mapsource does something similarly. You can open any number of Mapsource files (existing and new)and cut and paste waypoints, tracks, maps and routes among them. What's really neat if you had copied Topo and Roads and Recreation onto you hard drive, is you can split screen the monitor and display a topo map on top and streets map on the bottom at the same time as you create routes and waypoints for example. Then cut and paste into one or the other, and you tansfer the whole thing to the GPS and save the file.

Alan

How? When I try to open a new set of waypoints, it replaces the set I already have open. & I don't seem to be able to cut & paste between multiple instances of mapsource

Spog

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Alan

How? When I try to open a new set of waypoints, it replaces the set I already have open. & I don't seem to be able to cut & paste between multiple instances of mapsource

Spog

You cannot open it from the already opened program because as you found out it will want to clear the curent data. What you have to do is open a completely second (or third,) Mapsource program from the Windows Programs section like you opened it the first time. Another way is to double click on a saved Mapsource file. Each time yo do that another Mapsource program opens up. The "split screen" is created from the Windows tool bar at the bottom not with the Mapsorce program display. Once you have two Maps opens, right click on the Windows bar in a blank area and left click "Tile Windows Horizontally" What I have is one file called Caches found, another caches open, another caches not found, another for special or individual caches, etc.

Another trick is that you'll get better printouts of maps from the Windows Paint program then from just printing from the normal Print button in Windows. Once you have what you want to print on the screen, hit the Print Screen key on the keyboard. Open Windows Paint from the Accessories page. Hit Edit, Paste, File and Print Once Paint is opened, eac time you click Print Screen, you can Paste to Paint and Print th new screen shot.

Good luck

Alan

Got it! Thanks a lot Alan.

Much like yourself, I want ot keep multiple lists of waypoints - eg my 'standard'set (home, office, etc) and new sets of geocaching waypoints.

This will make life a lot easier, thanks again.

Now, if only i could find a way of getting mapsource to do a proper search that includes roads, not just 'cities', I'd be a lot happier

spog