Canada Users Of Softmap

coureur des bois

Somebody interested to exchange tips and knowledge about using the software called SoftMap ? This software is specific to Canada and Quebec. May be we could talk about PathAway to.

I am in my first year of geocashing and a new user (one year) of this software, I got problems and would like to know if somebody have the same limitations.

I use this software to keep tracks, waypoints and to make maps for hiking.

Hi,

Jacques from Quebec city.

jb@velocarte.com

www.velocarte.com (velo et randonnées pédestres)

I use it as it is a very convenient topo for this area (Southern Ontario) however I gave up on the GPS option as I both had initial problems installing (Softmap tech support eventually solved that one) and I didn't find it particularly user friendly. I also had just bought a copy of Fugawi and found that it works with Softmap (Fugawi wrote the GPS option for Softmap I believe). The Fugawi/Softmap combination is excellent and I've used it for trail mapping etc. The other advantage of Fugawi is that you aren't restricted to Softmap. In Ontario there are reasonably good topos available on-line (I think the same is true in Quebec) and these can be calibrated and used in Fugawi. Locally I can also get high resolution aerial photos which can also be calibrated and used in Fugawi to overlay tracks and waypoints. A track overlay on an aerial photo makes a great trail map and I've done a couple of trail brochure maps that way.

If you're having problems, drop me a note. I might be able to help.

Edited by Hard Oiler

Your comments are interesting ! They open some doord in my mind

ADVANTAGES OF FUGAWI

The advantages of Fugawi are, if I understand correctly:

1. in the use of other maps and photographs

2. in the possibility to not be restricted to SoftMap

3. in the posibility to edit tracks and routes for mapping

I will examine with more attention this software. For now, I use SoftMap and SoftMap Pro, which give me the same fonctionalities.

LIMITATIONS OF SOFTMAP CONSUMER'S ACTIONS FOR CHANGES

(excuse my bad english, I'm learning)

I would like that SoftMap extend the opportunity to work wiht UTM coordinates in their software. We are able to see the coordinate in UTM, but we are not able to edit waypoints in one single list) and we are not able to export those coordinates for working with paper maps to replace a dead GPS (I always print and carry a paper map for security, and a list of waypoints).

There are also some lacks in exporting tracks and routes, the manual is a pity, some bugs and so on ...

I met a technician here in Quebec (SoftMap'office is here in Quebec city) and he told me that those changes will possibly be include in the future upgrades. If all users ask for the same thing, we have more chances to have a product tailored for our needs ??

Have a nice day, :rolleyes:

Jacques

I would like that SoftMap extend the opportunity to work wiht UTM coordinates in their software. We are able to see the coordinate in UTM, but we are not able to edit waypoints in one single list) and we are not able to export those coordinates for working with paper maps to replace a dead GPS (I always print waypoints).

One way I have used to get a list of waypoints as well as editing them is to upload them to your GPS and then you can edit them and download them back to Softmap or to another application (like GSAK) where you can print lists etc. You can switch your GPS to UTM and edit the waypoints in UTM although you'd have to look around for an application that you can download to and print a UTM list (GSAK is restricted at the moment to deg mins)

One way I have used to get a list of waypoints as well as editing them is to upload them to your GPS and then you can edit them and download them back to Softmap or to another application (like GSAK) where you can print lists etc. You can switch your GPS to UTM and edit the waypoints in UTM although you'd have to look around for an application that you can download to and print a UTM list (GSAK is restricted at the moment to deg mins)

Yes, this is the way for now. But its time consuming to maintain the list up to date. Uploading waypoints in MapSource is a convenient way. But I hope SoftMap will make it possible in the future.

Is it possible to work only with UTM with Fugawi ?

Jacques

Is it possible to work only with UTM with Fugawi ?

Yes - you can also export sets of waypoints as comma separated variable text files and include the UTM coordinates. Fugawi will also open loc files - so it's easy to plot cache locations. I have put all the Ontario caches onto Softmap this way and it worked quite well.

Another neat feature with Fugawi is that if you right click on a point on the map it will open up a list of nearest caches on gc.com.

Edited by Hard Oiler

[you can also export sets of waypoints as comma separated variable text files and include the UTM coordinates. Fugawi will also open loc files - so it's easy to plot cache locations. I have put all the Ontario caches onto Softmap this way and it worked quite well.]

And how do you import those informations in SoftMap?

How are linked Fugawi and SoftMap ? Just by external exange ?

Jacques

And how do you import those informations in SoftMap?

How are linked Fugawi and SoftMap ? Just by external exange ?

Jacques

Fugawi just uses the actual maps - none of the SoftMap software interface is used and the data is imported and stored by the Fugawi program in it's own database.

[

Fugawi just uses the actual maps - none of the SoftMap software interface is used and the data is imported and stored by the Fugawi program in it's own database

]

Well, I understand that «actual maps» are the SoftMap's Maps, the 1: 50 000 and the 1: 20 000 ones. Wow !

I think if I understand well, I will bought this program.

Thank you PDOP's

Jacques