Cake And Ice Cream Too

hookedoncache

I have a 60CS and I'd like to add some toys that will work with it. I see several people using their PDA's as well as different maps and your basic external antenia...

What I am hoping to do is download a database or small part of that will hold the web pages with hints of the caches that I'd like to have both for that days hikes and some one the way back that I might have time for. I see that I can download the way points but the web pages would be great.

I use an old laptop for my downloads and transfer files and it gets used for weather related things as well.

Any suggestions other than having my laptop use my cell phone for Internet access? After living with cable access, dial up just won't do it any more! If a PDA can store the web pages from say a bulk download (Premium user)...

Give me your ideas!

I think what you are after is a pocket query and an application like Cachemate. The PQ will give you a .GPX file which will contain all of the info on the 'cache page except for the pretty HTML stuff. Cachemate (and there are other apps, but IMHO Cachemate is the best) will allow you to sort, read, and categorize your files. You can create several PQs for different regions and with different parameters. Hope this helps...

To get from Geocaching.com to your Palm, you need two pieces of software. One on your laptop to read the GPX file that Geocaching.com e-mails to you (sinceyou are a premium member) and convert it into a Palm-readable file.

A second piece of software on the Palm lets you read the file your laptop created when you sync it to the Palm.

For me, I use GSAK on my computer, and Cachemateon my PDA. It's a great combination. Others swear by GPX Spinner and Plucker.

There is a lot of good info out there on "paperless" caching. This site discusses the GPX Spinner/plucker combination. You may want to search this forum for "paperless" for more info.

If you want it as a web page, that's Plucker or iSilo (I prefer iSilo but it's a commercial product). The result is static web pages that you can view. CacheMate is a database viewer/editor that lets you search for and log caches on your PDA. I've used all three on cache hunts and I find that I'm more effective with CacheMate.

You can use GPX Spinner with CacheMate. GPX Spinner mangles the waypoint symbols according to container type and DNFs and puts the output back as GPX. This can then be fed into the CacheMate converter program.

This is all assuming that by PDA you mean "Palm PDA". There is something similar for PocketPC PDAs. I think it's called Sonar.

-E