Survey Discs?

kingsting

kingsting -

Yes we look for survey disks. Check out the gc.com benchmark gallery so see what we're finding. :anibad:

The disk you found may or may not be in the database we use. To be sure, use the benchmark search page (and the "Other search options" sub-page). The database we use includes over 700,000 marks, but there are thousands more that are not, and we don't make a particular point of looking for them since we can't log them, but they are fun when we find them.

We need more information, as to coordinates or information from the disk. Otherwise, we don't understand your question. :laughing:

Oops, I'm new at the whole benchmark thing. Here's the one I found in Ocean City, MD.

ocm1b.jpg

And the coordinates are : N 38 19.587', W 075 05.331'. ELV 20 ft.

I saw a couple of these things while visiting the Ocean City area.

I'll go get a picture of the one in the bridge later today.

kingsting -

Looks like an excellent Army Corps of Engineers disk but, unfortunately, it does not appear to be in either the Geocaching or NGS databases based on my radial searches of both. Not too surprising - there are thousands of survey disks, etc, out there that have not been entered into the National Spatial Reference System (NGS database). I spotted a similar disk (OCM 44 1988 CBH) up near the Fenwick Island Lighthouse when Mrs. 7 and I rolled through the area about a year ago.

The Geocaching site does not have the capability to "create" a benchmark that is not already in the database. I usually keep track of my no-PID finds by posting a comment and picture to the datasheet of the nearest station that has a PID (that is, is in the Geocaching database).

See HU0377 as an example.

will

Edited by seventhings