Garmin Vista C Trouble...

Hey all, I just bought a new GPS, the Garmin Vista C, got it today and am having a bit of trouble with it. I would like to download waypoints to my gps, I've tried easygps, swiss army knife, and several others but I am having a problem with all of them. My GPS uses a USB cable and not a serial. Is there anyway to avoid buying the adapter/converter? Maybe a different program I can use? I'd like any advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

First, Did you get a CDRom with MapSource Trips and Waypoint manager with you GPSr? If so, install this, then use GSAK to export you waypoints to a .mps file and load them into Mapsource T&WM and from there to your GPSr over the USB. Additionally after you install Mapsource, you might want to download the latest version from the Garmin website, unless yours is the latest.

Next, wait a little while and GSAK will have the USB Comms to your Garmin, should be soon. See this Post.

Cache Well

Well I tried to add the 60c to the Easy GPS but it has no option for it. Not sure why, but the Garmin 60c is not there...

Oh well, I am going to break down and buy the adapter because the map software I have only downloads through serial as well... :anibad:

Thanks all!

Lisa

Hold off on buying the serial cable for the 60C. GSAK has the USB comms working now, for registered users, and it's only $15 for the registration.

It works great and does a lot of other useful caching things. You might want to try it before buying the cable.

Second point, if you are trying to download maps to your GPSr, only the Garmin maps work with it. If you are just trying to make non caching waypoints and then download these, you will need the serial cable.

Cache Well

I'm lost here regarding the adapter/converter. The Vista C only has a USB port, unlike the 60C which has both USB and serial. I've seen adapters to go from USB on the computer to a serial device, but they won't work with the Vista C as it only works as a USB unit.

I'd double check on the converter before buying it to make sure it will actually do what you need.

As for programs I use that work with the Vista C.

Garmins software of course

ExpertGPS set to 60c mode

Topofusion set to garmin USB

Hey all, I just bought a new GPS, the Garmin Vista C, got it today and am having a bit of trouble with it. I would like to download waypoints to my gps, I've tried easygps, swiss army knife, and several others but I am having a problem with all of them. My GPS uses a USB cable and not a serial. Is there anyway to avoid buying the adapter/converter? Maybe a different program I can use? I'd like any advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

The lastest version of EasyGPS has USB support. Make sure yours is version 1.3.7

Cheers, Olar