gps capabilities

budlvr40

Where can you find SPECIFIC information about a gps units capabilities? More so than such items as ; lock times

; 3-5 meter accuracy

; compass etc. etc.

I use a 1998Garmin 12; a buddy has a new etrex (blue) and it is amazing that it tells you you are within "25 feet" of a cache location! Mine messages at 1/10 of a mile that you are getting close and then drops to 0.0-- I can get it closer by using the position page and dead reconning my further movements, but why work so hard when the easy way is available? Do the manufacturers have info (specific) available online somewhere?

bud

You can download the manual from garmin, but you probably got that when you bought it anyway. True, they don't tell all. No, your Garmin 12 will not do the feet thing. You are limited to decimal miles. When you hit 0.0 you'll usually find you are within ten feet of the position anyway (usually). Yes, then you start watching the lat and longitude numbers to better define your positon.

4497_300.jpg

I have a GPS 12 also. The conversion to feet would be nice but there is a bit of a work around to get a little more accurate countdown. Switch your GPS 12 to metric. It will then count down to .01 km, which is 10 meters, which is 32.81 feet. I use this some times when I go out with the kids. They are always asking, “How much further is it?” When I tell them that it’s .17 miles they just give me a blank stare, but if I tell them it’s 270 meters they are able to think in terms of a soccer field and have a pretty good idea of how far we have left.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/