Suggestion - Auto-change Co-ords

Lucanos

Hi Guys,

Just a quick suggestion if it may please the court...

I have noticed that there are a few caches (often labelled as "Mystery" or "Puzzle" Caches) where the objective is to find the Cache, then to relocate it to another location.

An example of this is the "Traffic Control" Series by "The Rats" in Australia (GC678F, GC7C01 & GC7D6E)

My suggestion is that, when a GeoCacher logs these finds they are prompted to enter the new Co-Ords into the form and this information would then be used to update the Cache Page Co-Ords.

This would mean that the GC.com feature allowing us to find GCs close to entered co-ordinates would be more accurate.

It might even be worth adding a new category for "Dynamic Caches", being caches which are designed so they do shift around...

Just an idea to try and make these caches easy to find online, yet still as challenging to find in the real world...

Since new moving cache submissions are no longer listed on Geocaching.com, it makes little sense to devote programming resources to improving their functionality. You can get a sense of the prior debate on this topic by doing a forum search on "moving cache" or "traveling cache" and reading the many threads over the period of the past year to two years. Existing caches of this type, hidden before the rule change in Spring of 2003, are grandfathered and the owner can change the coordinates. There are obvious problems in allowing a finder to change the owner's cache coordinates. The owner controls their own listing.

Hi Keystone,

Forgive my newbie-ism and all (and I have tried to research this myself prior to asking) but why aren't moving/travelling/dynamic caches allowed anymore?

Having only been looking at this site for a month or so now I think that they are quite a fun idea - a cache which might very well come to you rather than you having to go to it.

Thanks

I'll chime in as the owner of some moving caches.

The cache approvers are responsible for making sure that the caches are placed legally and follow the guidelines of the site. When someone moves a cache to a new location, it's not re-reviewed by an approver. That circumvents the approval process.

My moving caches are all virtuals, and I try to adhere to the guidelines when they are moved to new locations. But there's nothing that says I can't move it to a really bad location (although that'd be dumb).