Looking for area members

JustmeCindy

That is what happened in Georgia, someone set up an event cache at a local park, a bunch of people came and now there is one every month. I think every "cache" has had new people of course some of the previous attendees don't come. It is a cool way to meet and swap stories with people you only know by their logs.

quote:
Originally posted by The Heavenly Host:

Does an event cache show up in your hidden count? After it finishes, does it get removed

I am pretty sure it shows up in your hidden count (I didn't set up the event cache). But if that concerns you, just create a new geocaching.com user id and use that one to create the event. Then if you ever want to create another event use that id.

quote:

Does an event cache show up in your hidden count? After it finishes, does it get removed

Just to confirm, event caches do show up on your hidden count, and they stay on your hidden count even when you archive them. (based on own experience)

If this concens you, set up a different id as suggested earlier.

Someone organized a geocache picnic near Pittsburgh recently and listed it as a cache. Everyone interested was asked to respond in a "note" only and it didn't add to my "found it" total. After the picnic they said we could list it as a found but not everyone did it. Later the cache was archived. However, it was a great way to meet local cachers and we had a great time. The organizer set up a new cache just for the event and a number of us did a team search. It was great fun. Realy all you need is a set date and picnic site and people show up. Couldn't be easier.

quote:

Does an event cache show up in your hidden count? After it finishes, does it get removed? I might want to try an event cache, but I don't want it to mess up my counts.

At the recent MiGO Picnic, one person donated a container, and everyone else contributed a trinket, then a group went out and hid the new cache. After the picnic ended, the event page was updated with the cache coordinates, and it's still an active huntable cache. icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:

Does an event cache show up in your hidden count? After it finishes, does it get removed? I might want to try an event cache, but I don't want it to mess up my counts. Maybe I have issues, I'll accept that.

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

Hosting an event takes more work than hiding a cache... enjoy the credit you get.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

it's still an active huntable cache. icon_smile.gif

Maybe the answer is to plan an event at a place you would like to place a cache. Then it can stay there as a monument to the day. It will be in your hidden count, but would be fine, because it would transform into a regular cache after that. Even if the coord for the event are in a slightly more open space, they could be changed to point to the actual hiding spot after the event. e.g the event could be in a park, then the remaining cache could be in the woods behind the park.

That way I could avoid the whole fake login thing and also have a neat way to introduce a cache.

As a side note, I am not ready to host an event yet. I know that when I wanted to hide my first cache after only finding 2, I was told to 'wait!' I can imagine that hosting an event takes that much more experience, and even at 38 finds, I know I am not ready.

stealyourcache.jpg

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

one person donated a container, and everyone else contributed a trinket, then a group went out and hid the new cache.

That's what we're planning for the 2002 Chicagoland Geocaching Picnic next week, too. But there are also some temporary caches that are going to be set up in the area. We'll allow the cachers to log these temp caches as "found" on the event page. All comments about the picnic (will I be attending, this was great, etc.) are supposed to be in the forms of "notes".

However the cache we set up will be a separate cache page. The event cache will stay just as it is, and be archived after about a month.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

We've hosted an event and will do so again in the future. I like many of the ideas here, especially the one about donating trinkets and starting a new cache with them.

But events are a wonderful way to meet people and some of the most fun ones are just at a pizza parlor. After all people of similar interests really want to mainly sit around and gab.

An event cache counts as a cache found or a cache hidden.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On