Manufacturer involvement

Nellamit

With all the people out there buying GPSR's specifically for the purpose of geocaching, it seems that the manufacturer's of these units should offer some level of support to the sport. My legend has a geocache icon, so they apparently recognize the popularity of geocaching. What does everone think?

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

They'll support anything that generates more sales of their products.

I think if you check back through the archives, you will find that Jeremy discovered that concept is not necessarily true; the attitude of the manufacturers at that time was more along the lines of 'you need us, we don't need you.'

With the huge increase in popularity (not to mention name recognition) geocaching has gained over the past year or so, I would hope the situation was changed somewhat.

quote:
Garmin could add, software wise, to the GPS V. The idea was they remove the fishing calc and other useless features

Hey! Glad you didnt suggest that to Magellan. I use mine! I dont actually go by it for times when to fish but just as to how we did that day and when was the action the fastest. Believe it or not but the info contained is fairly accurate. Its all based on solunar tables and attempts to judge when wildlife will be more active. Other variables come into play including cloud cover and barometric pressure so its not 100% dead on. I also use the built in solunar tables in my work so hands off those too. icon_biggrin.gif

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I had a thread going a while back about what features Garmin could add, software wise, to the GPS V. The idea was they remove the fishing calc and other useless features and add in something like a decrypter and other geocaching specific stuff.

There's an excellent idea! How many of us Garmin Vista owners ever plan on using the recently implemented "JumpMaster" feature?