Torn Between Two Lovers

srburk

Heh! Got your attention. Actually, I'm torn between two units.

I got the Etrex Legend on eBay. I'm wondering if it was worth it.

It doesn't have the street detail I had hoped for. That would cost more. And even if I did, I'm having the darndest time getting a good signal in my Honda Accord. The Legend doesn't have the capabilities of adding an antenna.

So, shall I just assume that I won't be able to use this for street navigation and just downgrade to the yellow etrex and use it solely for geocaching?

So, I'm torn. Shall I keep the Legend and buy (or be gifted) the street detail software. Or shall I sale it back on ebay and get the yellow unit???

Scott

well by the sounds of it you want it for navigation. The legend has 8mb of memory which isn't a lot but it does the trick. your not gunna get a unit with great detail on their base maps your gunna have to buy software for that.

As for signal your gunna have to leave it on the dash to get as good as your gunna get. the lengend can be hard to read in the car at times because of the small screen. it can be done tho.

Also you can get a re-radiating antenna for it for use in the car. i don't have one but i've read in here that people seem to like the one from PC-mobile.

try it a few more times tho, i didn't like reception the first few times i used mine but its great.

hope this helps and happy hunting

Well I guess it depends on how much you bought it for (I'll assume around $150).

Had you asked whether to get the Yellow or the Legend you probably would have been advised to get the Legend. Had you asked what unit to get for street navigation, you probably would have been advised to get a different model altogether.

But, if you are planning to sell the Legend I would recommend going to a higher level model not a lower one.

Edited by Elf Danach

Keep the legend. If you go backwards you will regret it. Any software you get will work on upgraded models down the line. If you want city streets software check into City Select. If it works on yours you should at least be able to look up an address and use it as waypoint. If not...consider an upgrade to a GPS City Select will work on for your routing needs.