Leaving Something At A Dnf Cache

Nervous Nick

Simple question: Is it considered bad etiquette to leave something of my own, short of another cache, at a site where I failed to find the hide, as long as it is clear that this is not the cache itself? I am talking about something like a note or such that says, in effect, ha ha, I tried here too, better luck to you--keep looking.

Thanks. Email responses encouraged.

--

YOP....

Nicko

Feel free to enlighten me but my initial reaction would be to term it littering. If everyone left a note at every DNF, the landscape would be filled with notes. Tell us here when you log the DNF what you found and/or didn't find. Encrypt as necessary to keep from giving too much away to those who don't want help. When others come back after a DNF they will decrypt and search the logs and find your comment.

My cache count is still pretty low but at least half the caches I've found have had several nearby places that the cache could have been hidden just as well if not better. Having multiple possibilities is part of finding a good hiding place for a cache. No offense intended but if I were to find your note in one of those other places I would consider it a great opportunity for CITO.

I agree that leaving something would be bad form for the reasons mentioned - again, think of the impact if a lot of people started doing this (abundant geolitter).

I definitely read the logs before going out to look for a cache or after a DNF (to get a clue about what I did wrong, now that I've seen the area). Logging it on the website is the best way to share your experience!

Simple question: Is it considered bad etiquette to leave something of my own, short of another cache, at a site where I failed to find the hide, as long as it is clear that this is not the cache itself? I am talking about something like a note or such that says, in effect, ha ha, I tried here too, better luck to you--keep looking.

Thanks. Email responses encouraged.

--

YOP....

Nicko

Whoa, bad form! If you can't put it inside the cache, it's just litter. So you didn't find it, big deal, log the DNF and try again another day.